• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New DA 60 not start

njswede

150cc
If the ignition test fails and all your wires are connected correctly, you may want to check something that cost me 2 hours of troubleshooting the other week... On some ignitions (this was an Rcexl), it's possible to install the little sensor chip upside down. To test this, mark the position of the pickup, then remove it, turn it upside down and move it over the magnet quickly with the spark plug in the socket but removed from the engine. If you get ignition at that point, the sensor was installed upside down.

Now, this is probably pretty far down on the list of probable causes and I'm not even sure it's possible to put it upside down on a DA. But since it cost me two hours of flipping and tearing out hair, I thought it would be worth mentioning. Good luck with your engine and let us know how it goes!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm not sure how much experience you have with gas engines, I'm limited as well... but make sure the plug is fully seated in the plug cap - making contact with the spring and the cap. They are very hard to insert when new.
You can buy a RCXL timing light that will let you know if the sensor chip is picking up the magnet.
http://www.rcexl.com/news/accessories/7.html
Are you using just the DA ignition with no add-ons? (Tach, Y-harnesses?)
Also if you have the new ignition, there is a firing light on the box. See the 1:38 mark on this video with the DA35

hope that helps?

On a DA 60 there is no hall sensor so it isn't possible for it to be inserted backwards as it is with the replacement / universal sensors from places such as RCXP.
Also, since DA uses an inductive pickup, not a hall sensor, the RCExl timing / ignition/ sensor testers won't be useful for testing the sensor on a DA.

As has been previously mentioned, make certain the connection from the sensor to the ignition is fully seated and not backwards as it is quite possible to plug it in backwards. Simply make sure the wire color line up across the connector. As has also, has been mentioned, when testing for spark flip the prop FAST as DA uses an inductive pickup and the ignition won't fire unless the magnet passes the sensor quickly. Also, if the spark plug is fully seated in the boot, which can be difficult when new, there is no need to ground the plug to the case as it is grounded through the shield on the cable. Most any starter if you have one should easily be able to spin the engine fast enough with the plug removed. If you have a starter it may make it easier to test for spark but it isn't required. It can be difficult to see the spark in a well lit area but you should be able to hear it click when it fires. If it gets spark, fuel and has compression it will run.

I assume you have tried various throttle settings, such as 1/4 throttle while trying to start to eliminate the possibility that the throttle is simply closed too far to allow it to run but I'll mention it anyways because it's easy to get frustrated and forget these details when dealing with issues such as this..

Wayne

Last edited:
Right GSN, but that is the normal procedure in this kind of engines and i was operating of the same way. but not works. I have several DLE Engines, but this is my first DA engine. Thanks.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with gas engines, I'm limited as well... but make sure the plug is fully seated in the plug cap - making contact with the spring and the cap. They are very hard to insert when new.
You can buy a RCXL timing light that will let you know if the sensor chip is picking up the magnet.
http://www.rcexl.com/news/accessories/7.html
Are you using just the DA ignition with no add-ons? (Tach, Y-harnesses?)
Also if you have the new ignition, there is a firing light on the box. See the 1:38 mark on this video with the DA35

hope that helps?
Hi dear, i have some experience with gas engines, i have several DLE. I am not using with adds Tach, Y Harnesses) and my DA engine is New and has this CDI:

https://www.desertaircraft.com/coll...roducts/ignitions-sensors?variant=15196027847

i am agree with wfield, someone told me that CDI tester by RCexl can not be used in DA Engines.

Thanks

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Often with new and/or overhauled engines the diaphragm in the carb is dry as well as everything else. Usually a squirt of gasoline into the carb mouth will get the engine to fire and start drawing fuel into the carb. Unless you're seeing/smelling raw gas at the carb already....in that case you've got fuel going in. So spark and compression are the only 2 things still needed to run.

Zeeb

30cc
Well it might be a silly suggestion but it worked for me; I bought a brand new DA-60 and could not get that puppy to start. I did all the trouble shooting and while it did have a spark while flipping it by hand with the sparkplug removed, it seemed weak. So I ordered another ignition module from DA with the idea of returning the bad one. The new module didn't help either.

Now I have other DA's and ZDZ's so I'm not new to gassers but this one had me stumped. I finally got it started by opening the throttle about 1/3 to 1/2 way open. Now please don't tell me I flooded thing because I did not. I did flood it intentionally one time as I've found that if I'm completely l0st on a start, flooding it will give you a known situation to start from. I cannot tell you if it got any better because about the time I got that model finished, I had some significant medical issues and that model has not yet been flown or even started again.

All your comments are really if I had spark, but I can not get spark. I am going to make a video on that way you guys can see all my connections and everything.

All your comments are really good if I had spark, but I can not get spark, I am going to make a video on that way you guys can see all my connections and everything. With my understanding I have a electric problem. To me should be the CDI or Sensor.

GSNadmin

Staff member
If it was new and you did not plug in higher voltage than what is recommended, it's not a CDI, but if that is the case I would call DA and send them the CDI and let them check it.