• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Peak Models 32% Extra 330 SC

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well?..........Certainly NOT a girly toy plane like the 26cc Edge I "used" to have :ooh?:. But too much "manly man" plane??? for me???

Naw dear brutha of a diff'rent mutha. It's "TOTALLY :alien2: ALIEN MAN " and only the "Chosen" " IT " let's fly it :D. And as far as I know....

"There can be only one!" :banana-dance:

:laughing:
Seriously speaking Kelly, I am really wishing you the best on the new 72. I am thinking that plane is going to be like the Apollo 13 style launch and break away gravity power.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Seriously speaking Kelly, I am really wishing you the best on the new 72. I am thinking that plane is going to be like the Apollo 13 style launch and break away gravity power.

Thank you Rob. Let's hope it does not get crippled like A13's ride was though. Hope your 4th Holiday was a good one bro.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
First start and run of the DJ72 is in the books :). Both HL needles 1.5 turns out. Had 4 previous prop flips to get fuel up to engine. 10 flips of the prop to get that all exciting "choke" burn. 4 flips to a running engine :woohoo!:

After engine warmed up a bit was rapidly advancing the throttle and the engine hesitated as if it was a tad lean on the low side. So about an eighth of turn open on the Low needle was in order. Bingo! running smooth for such a big single cylinder :big-grin:. Only ran the engine about 5 minutes to get the start point of tuning and ready for a cowl on maiden. Did not exceed 4500 rpm (using tach) . Very impressed with the compression and it swinging FCF24x9W. This is a beast of an engine. Surprisingly it does not shake the air frame any worse than the DL50 did o_O.

Big thanks to my buddy Charlie for giving me a hand today. After starting and running the engine I'm really glad he was there. Definitely one of those "Two Fisted" engines even though it only has one head :dancing-chicken:.

20180706-135653.JPG
20180706-135800.JPG

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Whoo hoo…!!! Good going there Kelly. Great to have a plan come together huh? Can't wait to see what she does in flight.

Yes it was a real pleasure not to have any difficulty with the engine thus far. And I too am really excited about getting it in the air! I think it is going to make the "Alien" Alien all over again :alien2:.:yesss:. :laughing:.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got busy with my drum sander and modified the cowl opening for the 72. Where my finger is pointing is where the original cut out stopped.

I like that the spinner back plate is setting further back too :). Hope to get a flight report soon but a lot of interference in my schedule at the moment :ugh!:.

0707181701-00.jpg
0707182034-00.jpg
0707182032-00.jpg
0707182032-01.jpg
0707182032-02.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Engine is now baffled with some foam board. Also have the DJ72 V2 engine in hand (Thanks to a buddy in Texas ). Going to test run it and get some info on rpm and thrust with a Falcon CF 24x9. Also see if it's internals are more quiet than my V1. It has quite a number of improvements over the "original" V1......My V1 has a number of these as "updates".

1. Case metallurgy supposed to be improved and machine work more accurate. (Metallurgy already an upgrade on V1)
2. Steel washers for wrist pin bearing spacers. (This was already an upgrade on the V1)
3. Connecting rod manufactured with a tighter fit to bearing tolerance.
4. New piston design with ceramic coating and oil groove machined in.
5. Larger back bearing.
6. Cylinder head combustion dome volume decreased a bit for a higher compression ratio. I heard it went from 9.4 to 9.8.
7. Supplied muffler beefed up for ruggedness. ( V1 also has this ).
8. New style ignition provided over the RCAME.

0722180155-01.jpg

0725181402-00.jpg
0725181404-00.jpg
0725181409-00.jpg