• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
It is a Little giant starter, I put it on to big of an engine and fried the brushes. It turned the smaller engines with ease but I got stupid and put it on the Valach 170, it turned and started it but only once. Currently using a drill which is not as comfortable. I know, starters are not needed but I have a bad shoulder and back, the motion of swinging a prop does not work for me.

Attachments

• 20150611_174227.jpg
    20150611_174227.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't know if the originals were a extremely high carbon or just plain copper but I have tried a couple normal brushes, it just doesn't have any giddy up. The wiring looks good, no hash or burn's, the magnets are still very strong, in short, I can't find any reason other than improper brushes. But, I am no expert or even a novice when it comes to the internals of a motor. Now if it were gas I would not be here asking anything.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Prior to melting the wires going into the brushes it was unbelievably strong and pulled between 15-20 amp doing it's thing under load. Right now it don't pull period and I can stop the cone with one finger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Hmmm, don't know why I did not search this before but just did. From what I read some applications do run straight copper for better conductivity. So I am off to get a piece of copper and some wire. We'll see.
I would still pay well for someone that knew what they were doing to get it running right.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I am disappointed, I thought someone here would surely would know someone that could fix it.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL!
After spending a few hours trying to grind a set of brushes out of a copper rod I gave in to the dark side and tossed it in the trash. Guess the drill will have to do, or, maybe I'll buy one of those Megatrons from Sullivan.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
After the previous post I just could not give in that easy. I dug it back out, spent a bit more time grinding copper and finally got a set that fit perfectly. That did the trick, ample power with the new brushes. And just minutes after rejoicing the brush pockets, holders, retainers, what ever they are called disintegrated. I took to the web looking to see if maybe I could find another one somewhere, no such luck. But, not all was lost, during the search I came across a guy making and selling a starter. I bought it, picked it up today at an airfield and tried it right there. Excellent starter, very strong, seemed to spin through the compression stroke of the 60 twin easier than the old one. Currently looking into changing out the small cone for my big one. Here is a pic of the starter and his email for anyone interested, easyRCstarts@yahoo.com. While at the field a couple other guys which have his starter spoke very highly of him, his name is Mike.

Attachments

• P1080440.JPG
    P1080440.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 353