• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
That would make sense to me but the three view I'm working off shows different. Mounted to elevator would put the span wise cable run right over the hinge centerline. It will be a little tighter fit but I think it would work. Another revision may be it the works.

WMcNabb

150cc
The only thing I could find related to the trim tab mechanism is attached.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Prewar-Aeronca-Elevator-w-Trim-Tab-Mechanism-/184026504904
I understand the cable shown in the photo is used to set the trim tab tension through a knob in the cabin.

I did find the manual which features a graphic of the elevator control system, but not the trim tab. Also the reference to the tension knob is here. See pages 13-14.
https://www.univair.com/content/partcatalog/7ASM-flipbook/mobile/index.html#p=13

TonyHallo

150cc
The trim cable is shown on the following page. The elevator assembly is shown on page 26 and the left elevator has a boss of some sort where the pulley is mounted. Attached is a photo of the three view I'm working off as well as the service manual. It shows the pulley on the stab and I'm sure this is incorrect now. Thank you for your help here again.
Assume the elevator on Ebay is from a C3, wonder how it worked and the purpose of the spring?
Started hardwood floor job in my home so work on the Champ will be slowed a bit, maybe an hour or two at night if my body can handle it.

IMG_2824.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Moved the pulley to elevator leading edge, works much better, still need to do some more work but I'm sure on the right tract now. Have to sneak this work in between the remodel work, still have 900 sq ft of flooring to install, plus painting. Getting tried of cleaning paint brushes.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Just had our stairs to second floor, upstairs hallway and 1 office/ bedroom changed from carpet to hardwoods. That was done by pros, not me.

TonyHallo

150cc
Finally got the saw horses back in the shop from the remodeling project so I can flip the fuselage over for a photo. The pulley is a little larger now and relocated on the elevator rather than the stab. Works much better. Nicked the cables while enlarging the exit hole so I need to make new cables, no problem, have gone backwards before and will continue to do so.
Merry Christmas and happy New Year from the 1/3 Scale RCM build thread.

IMG_1083-1.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice work you are a true Scale builder wish I had the patience. Can you access all those cables and pulleys when it is covered.