• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
I used https://rcplanes.online/cg_calc.htm to calculated the safety margin, it came out at 7%. The wing is 20", so 6 5/8" puts the CG at 33%. According to the calculator the neutral point is at 8" or 40% of the cord. I believe I will make a heavy prop washer out of brass. this could add 1/2 pound to the nose.
Each wheel weighted 15.2 pounds and the tail wheel was 4.5 pounds, 36 pounds total so the 40 pound seems very reasonable.

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    153 KB · Views: 256

TonyHallo

150cc
Here is a view from the front seat.
IMG_1267.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
40 lbs that is getting up there if my memory serves me right were you not going to put a Roto 85 in the plane.

TonyHallo

150cc
First real project where I appreciate the power crossfeed, mirror finish on the fine feed rate. 0007"/ rev. The other thing I appreciate is McMaster Carr, ordered this 2 1/2" x 1/2" brass disc yesterday afternoon, on my porch this morning. This is replacing the prop washer supplied with the Cub Hub from Tru turn. The 1/4" aluminum weights 1.5 ounces, the brass is 9 ounces right where it does the most good. It's clamped in the milling machine, once it is centered will use the DRO to drill the six holes for the bolts.
IMG_1273.JPG

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I used https://rcplanes.online/cg_calc.htm to calculated the safety margin, it came out at 7%. The wing is 20", so 6 5/8" puts the CG at 33%. According to the calculator the neutral point is at 8" or 40% of the cord. I believe I will make a heavy prop washer out of brass. this could add 1/2 pound to the nose.
Each wheel weighted 15.2 pounds and the tail wheel was 4.5 pounds, 36 pounds total so the 40 pound seems very reasonable.
When you use this program what percentage do you use.

TonyHallo

150cc
I started at 5% then increased to 7% since the calculated CG was behind my measurement, They tell you between 5 and 15 is normal. If you enter zero it puts the cg on the neutral point, if you set it to 15 it puts the CG at 25% of the cord.

TonyHallo

150cc
I think I looked at every Champ photo on Airliners.Net and finally decided to paint the interior light gray, I found several examples of this. Started by covering the headliner behind the rear windows with a piece of SeeTemp to finish it off, then sanded and dusted a couple of coats of Rustoleum Stone Gray spray paint. Tomorrow I hope to paint the front posts, a pillars and under the dash flat black.

IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG