• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just to make a canopy. Man it looks like the most difficult part to make. A lot time money and many tries. Is it an art or just need to make few to get to know how to do it. Or is just that difficult for new shape.

TonyHallo

150cc
I don't want to think about it. I couldn't get the original buck out of the mold so it was destroyed. I got a good mold that i can work with, it needs a little work due to damage sustained while removing the buck, that's OK.
My wife is having surgery on Friday to joint her left humerus as one again. Was planning to leave for Key Largo on Wednesday for four days and round out the week in Key West, those plans are canceled so I will get some time on the Champ. My trained vacuum forming helper is on medical leave so looks like I will need to train someone else.
Holding off putting the engine in until I'm done turning the fuselage upside down.
Got a shipping notice from I Fly Tallies that the seats have shipped, looking forward to the arrival. No photos today, phone was dead.

TonyHallo

150cc
Started cleaning the bleed through on the wings today, before and after of the top number 8.
IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
If I had it to do over, I would buy paint masks from AeroGraphics.com rather than mask myself. Maybe the next build? Still kicking around what to build next? Might finish the Super Cub that I've been moving around the shop for a while?
N7458D.jpg

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
Spent some time on the seats today. I got the seat from i Fly Tallies but it just doesn't match the decor of the Champ so I will use it on a future project. I added the cross straps on the seat frames. The tin came from a gallon of WD40, nice and thin, sharp as a razor! The seat cushions were cut from 2# foam sheeting.
IMG_1404.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Well my wife's arm is back together and I did manage to sneak in a little work between ice bag changes. The seats are OK but I still looking for other ways to do this. I may wet sand again and apply more paint. It will work until something better comes along. My lighting is poor because three of my Sam's Club 4' LED light fixtures have failed. I had one of the original 8 fail that cost $29/ea. The price dropped to $19/ea and bought 8 more, I believe I'm close to 100% failure rate of the lower cost units, same brand, just lower cost.

IMG_1414.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well my wife's arm is back together and I did manage to sneak in a little work between ice bag changes. The seats are OK but I still looking for other ways to do this. I may wet sand again and apply more paint. It will work until something better comes along. My lighting is poor because three of my Sam's Club 4' LED light fixtures have failed. I had one of the original 8 fail that cost $29/ea. The price dropped to $19/ea and bought 8 more, I believe I'm close to 100% failure rate of the lower cost units, same brand, just lower cost.

Keep up the good work ice man.

I used these in 2017 and they are still going strong. removed the balasts and re-wired for these. Not one has failed out of 20 tubes.
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Bu...+LED+tube+crystal+white&qid=1621669581&sr=8-6