• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rebuilding the Yak...again.

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
Looks good stangflyer. Mine is all ready to go to apache pass next week end. Still gotta find a canopy or make one over the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I am so excited to say, the re-re-maiden of the big Yak went exceptionally well. Have to admit I was a little nervous and honestly had to force myself to open that throttle and let her jump into the wind. And jump she did. 10 to 12 mph winds with 15 gusts. That tail came right up and in ten feet lifted ever so gently straight and level. Pushing the stick full power, I banked deep right, leveled off and pulled her high in the sky. One click up elevator and hands off. Rolled her upside down and that big "dub" never missed a beat. Ever so slightly and almost un-noticeable the big Yak gained about 10 feet for every 100 downrange. Ah!! Love that new CG balance. I think I shifted just enough weight forward that I removed a little of the overly tail heaviness. Aileron rolls perfectly axial. Knife edge is right on the money. Almost zero coupling. And honestly, I think it flies so much better than it did prior to the reconstruction. It just seems to track straighter and more precise. Setting up for landings reminded me of my SD 260. Great penetration and not a lot off loss of forward momentum. Down wind she coasted very nicely. Base leg had really good altitude decrease. Upon turning final I was still twice as high as I really needed to be. Usually I'd bring her in about 10 to 15 feet as I cross the threshold and set down 50 to 100 feet down the 500 foot runway. Not today. I usually stand at the "X" which is mid runway. Each landing today, it was still around 7 to 10 feet when she crawled on by. Just a slight "blip" of the throttle to reduce her sink rate and touch down so lightly I could put a piece of paper between the mains and asphalt. With the tail still level and flying, she bled off speed from the "walk" speed landing. Oh...careful now, she wanted to lift back up. Easy now...ah, that's it. Blip and hard right rudder and she came coasting back for a nice shut down right in front of me. I really didn't do any heroic flying today. Mainly, I just wanted to get her back in the air and trimmed with a couple of refamiliraization flights. And to be sure the airframe is definatly airworthy. The wringing out will come later. Of all the planes I've repaired and re-maidened through the years, I've never had one come out this impeccable. I have to give all the credit to Tony and his awesome team of Pilot RC. Gluing precut and pre-keyed wood back together is as easy and painless as walking across the floor. I simply fit, glued and covered. For a plane this size to fly "better" than new says a lot for the design and the precision of the refit components. The only..."ONLY" minor set back I had today was I lost part of a Silver covering stripe from the right wing cover. Apparently I did not get that forward seam sealed well enough when I replaced it. No worries though. I will simply cut and attach a new one. To say I'm pleased with the outcome is truly an understatement. I already want to take the big Yak out flying again.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My 13 year old son is an ok baseball player. He got 2 strong hits today making a no flying day worth it. I'll fly a good bit once the baseball season ends next month.

Stangflyer, good review on the re maiden.
Wish my son was still 13. Then I wouldn't mind not flying... Ah well, enjoy it while you can, right? Thank you.... It was certainly a lot of fun. Even if I was the only one that braved the chilly temps and the above average breezes.

Alky6

150cc
Awesome! Just getting caught up in time for you to be done... Looks like you've got a brand new airframe! Spectacular job Rob! Congratulations!!!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Awesome! Just getting caught up in time for you to be done... Looks like you've got a brand new airframe! Spectacular job Rob! Congratulations!!!!
Hey, thanks. I am very happy with how it turned out. I honestly had my doubts. I have this sickness though. Once I get started on something, I can't seem to pull myself away from it. LOL.... I just wanna go flying again.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You had better make the best of the end of the flying season is not far off. Nice to see it back in the air and you are like kid with a new toy.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You had better make the best of the end of the flying season is not far off. Nice to see it back in the air and you are like kid with a new toy.
81 and no wind today. Ugh, and here I was stuck cleaning house. Ah! But tomorrow, supposed to be nicer than today. You can bet I'm going to squeeze every second of flying left for this season. I have three new airframes to get done for spring so gonna fly now. Build this winter.