• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rebuilding the Yak...again.

BalsaDust

Glad to hear it went well. And just like from my experiences busted airframes that you repair always seem to fly better. Guess that meens I'm gonna have a bunch of really good flying airframes as I dorked everything I have in some way this past weekend at Nash.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I will be doing some repairs my self. Went flying yesterday and the rudder started to flutter and before I could cut the throttle it was off. So it needs to fixed. Those flat CA hinges are junk now I have to dig them out that should prove to be a pain but needs to be done. If somebody knows a good way how to do it please let me know. Thanks.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Rob make plans to come down to So Cali this winter, we'll share some of the sunshine :yesss:

Me and you can throw down with the Yaks, I finally got my new canopy hatch! :epic:

20160926_104153.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Rob make plans to come down to So Cali this winter, we'll share some of the sunshine :yesss:

Me and you can throw down with the Yaks, I finally got my new canopy hatch! :epic:

View attachment 89005
Looks great! Bet you're excited to get that bird in the air again huh?! Socal? Hmm....Superb idea. I'll see how things play out here. Not totally out of the question. Thank you Tanner.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Looks great! Bet you're excited to get that bird in the air again huh?! Socal? Hmm....Superb idea. I'll see how things play out here. Not totally out of the question. Thank you Tanner.

First weekend of November is shaping up to be a fun one... ;)

Yup, the Yak will be up again this weekend. Got the canopy in tonight, just need to cut my cowl up, throw the control horns in the rudder, and mount up my spats.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Here we go again. I've never been the type to just "settle" for close enough. I'm extremely pleased with the repairs on the Yak and it flies incredible. But I've always been a little disappointed in the "emergency pull out" power of the 210. Don't get me wrong, it runs amazingly well. But it just doesn't have what I want for 3d flying. IMAC, it is perfect. Awesome downline braking. But at 49 lbs., 12.2 oz's... the big Yakster really lacks in pull out power. Soooo....here we go again. 210 outta there. Losing two elevator servos to swap out for different setup. 7980's x 2 will be the call for that. 7990's on the rudder will be moved up to midship servo tray on pull/pull. Swapping out the six 7954's on the ailerons to 4 7950's. At this point I will lose a total of 14.5 plus pounds. That brings this pig down to just over 34 lbs. 7 oz. Now you're all wondering what I will power it with? Weeeellll.......Terry W., Randy H., Tanner C., Mark T., Joe of ZDZUSA and a score of others can't be wrong. That 180 ZDZ has really impressed me a heap. At just shy of 8 lbs., that should put the Yak at 43'ish pounds before fuel. Swinging a Falcon 33x11w at more rpm than my big 210, I'm pretty excited at the possible outcome and difference in performance.

First...the servo relocation and refinements in the fuse. Next...the ZDZ 180 install.
:banana-dance::banana-dance::banana-dance:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'd just go 7990 on all of the surfaces. Gobs of torque and power all around, you're gonna need it because that ZDZ is a monster :yesss:

You might find that you will have to add in a 3rd rudder servo if you go pull/pull to keep it effective, there seems to be some sort of loss in torque when you go to pull/pull from direct push/pull.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'd just go 7990 on all of the surfaces. Gobs of torque and power all around, you're gonna need it because that ZDZ is a monster :yesss:

You might find that you will have to add in a 3rd rudder servo if you go pull/pull to keep it effective, there seems to be some sort of loss in torque when you go to pull/pull from direct push/pull.
I was worried about that. I never liked pull/pull and try to stay away from it at all costs if possible. Just not sure pull/pull is the way I want to go. With the '90's push/pull, they are strong enough to break the fuse if held solid. I may have to re-think my setup.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You're saving about 4lb of weight off the nose, gonna need to push that weight forward! ;)