• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Reza has been here for a week and he's already giving stuff away! RED LINE OIL!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Do you use them for break in as well or after break in.

I will be honest, since I started flying in 2006 it took me a while to convert fully to gas engines in 2010. I jumped on the Stihl HP Ultra (full synthetic) bandwagon because I had been hearing lots of great things about it. I admit it worked great for me with the exception of one thing........here the plains of the midwest our weather changes drastically sometimes from day to day. For instance just the other day we flew and it was 80 degrees and we are having lows in the 20's tonight with only 50 degrees if we are lucky tomorrow. We also get variations in humidity that effect things. All this means is that your tune can be different from one day to the next so for us it's often better to run just a tiny bit more rich so you never lean out when you go out tomorrow and it's 20-30 degrees different from yesterday.

With this consideration what happens with Stihl-HP is you have a nice clean piston top but carbon forms in the exhaust port and quite a bit of carbon build up in the mufflers. I switched to Redline at the start of last flying season under peer pressure from several of my friends that gave me crap continuously. It is very curious how it has cleaned out some of the engines that had previously run stihl. Some of the older ones were belching out black crud and finally slowed to less than I was used to. After inspection I found that it not only cleaned out the piston top on these older engines but also the exhaust ports, etc.

Since then I've burned about 90 gallons of fuel and added a couple of small engines, two DLE120's and a DA70. The DA70 was flown A LOT last year and not treated with the most respect as I pretty much flew it like I hated it from the beginning. After burning a ton of fuel, I sent that engine to DA for a Winter checkup and the reed update. Came back with a perfect bill of health, absolutely no crap on the piston, ports were clean, mufflers were not built up with anything.

To answer the question that I quoted, I do not run a break-in oil because I burn enough gas and the power gain at the point of "break in" is minimal compared to other factors so I just let the break in more slowly on the Redline. I can only guess I had 100+ flights on my DA70 as an example and there is nearly no crosshatch visible. One of my DLE120's had probably 50 flights on it when I had a muffler off and it is roughly half broken in.

Needless to say I am impressed and will be staying with Redline from here on out.....:way_to_go:

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I run 40:1 in everything and everything seems very happy. One exception is a 70cc four stroke I just bought and I am considering an 84cc Saito 3-cylinder for a warbird where I will run 20-30:1 because of the four-stroke uses blow-by oil for lubrication of the valves etc. so a little thicker mix is required.

Alky6

150cc
Being a die hard alky guy, I was also a die hard castor oil user. That is until I tried Red line oil. No looking back. Red line has great film strength and protects those critical components from uneccessary wear. It also has an unprecedented tolerance to heat. Now, if they could just get it to smell like castor when it burns.... ah sweet memories!

3D-Joy

50cc
Congrats on bringing some of this great oil to modelers of GSN.
I'm using another brand and perfectly happy with the results, don't count me in for the contest LOL.
Good luck.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I started off using Stihl because it was convenient and locally available and it was nice because I could just fill up my chainsaw, weed whacker, blower etc from my airplane jug. However, after burning through 2 years worth of gas I noticed a lot of carbon build up on the tops of my pistons and actually burned a hole in one of my DA120s. At that point I made the switch to redline. I've only gone through about 10 gallons of gas since the switch between 3 different airplanes and I've noticed a ton of crud being blown out of the exhaust so I know the redline is doing its thing and cleaning these things up.

ExtraJohn

70cc twin V2
I am finishing my first gas powered airplane, have no experience with oils. I'll let you know how Red Line works for me. Can someone point me to a supplier in New England?

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I am finishing my first gas powered airplane, have no experience with oils. I'll let you know how Red Line works for me. Can someone point me to a supplier in New England?
I ordered a case from Amazon...shipped to my door in a few days.