• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Shop Construction

sweetpea

100cc
So this thread is all about the construction of my new shop for my planes and other home projects.

Like many of you, I'm not made of money so I did a lot of research before picking a building. I couldn't afford the size I really wanted so I went as large as I could.

-pole building. Beams are wood, outer walls are metal, roof is metal
-1 garage door, 1 human door, 1 window (for a/c unit mostly)
-24x30 10ft ceiling, 13ft peak
-concrete floor with snap tiles (garage floor tiles that can hold weight of a car)

I know the first thing on most minds is cost (it was 2nd on mine...first was how big can I make!)

Bldg estimates ran from $6-30 grand. Mine was in the $11k range and was recommended by a friend that has one from the company

Concrete is pricey nowadays. anywhere from $120-120 sq yd. I found a guy who gave me a killer deal and he is doing the excavating, gravel for driveway and the concrete. So far he has been on time with everything.

I had to get a county permit so that was another $280 and included electric. Speaking of that........it ain't cheap. Avg is $50 an hr labor + parts. That is going to start next week and I'll be doing 100amp service.

I still have to price out walls, ceiling and insulation but I can't do any of that until the bldg. passes inspection so there is no real hurry yet.

So far.......spent 3 months pricing. Paid for bldg. upfront and it was ordered. Concrete was paid for and he exacavated the land, removed 2 tree stumps. Bldg was delivered today and I'm waiting on the foreman to let me know his schedule. He has 2 weeks to complete per the contract.

Of course I'll take feedback and suggestions along the way. I do plan to a lot of the inside work myself and chose not to do water/sewer as its a pain in this county with septic systems.

sweetpea

100cc
Before

IMG_20150321_091113052.jpg

After excavation of the site

IMG_20150321_111435891.jpg

Bldg is on site!

IMG_20150325_105355628.jpg

kork

70cc twin V2
I see you live in Ohio and wonder if you get much snow?
I would rough in a 2" pvc for floor drain.
We can install them legally if we day light the end of the drain.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Cool. Mikey like.:way_to_go:

As for advice, I went with spray foam insulation on my workshop. Bit pricey but worth every penny in my book. Especially on a metal building as it triples the wind shear strength. Maybe not as big of a deal in Ohio, but Missouri has had it's fair share of tornados in recent memory. Plus my shop is almost 20' tall so it catches a lot of wind.

Tip number two: Mount all of your electrical outlets at 48". That way they are above bench height and won't get buried up by items piled up along the walls.
image.jpg

sweetpea

100cc
outlets will be that high. looking at spray foam but have yet to get someone to give me a quote. We do get snow here but the bldg is rated for tornado winds and heavy snow loads. I don't plan a drain on the floor. The inside shouldn't be getting wet

pawnshopmike

Staff member
My building is 12x28x20 high. Spray foam cost me right at $4000.00. I will save that in heating and cooling cost over the years and then some.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
this is another very cool build thread!
Your right on the build for size thing, somehow we managed a double build in 22× 20 shop, one thing would have been nice to install was a sink, even one that just drains to a leech line. And use 2x the lighting you think you need.

Attachments

• 20141004_184541.jpg
    20141004_184541.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 20141026_190814.jpg
    20141026_190814.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 495
Last edited: