• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
I agree with you both. I don't fly at Nall. Too many people. SEFF used to be a blast with the two major venders there. We all had great time and there was PLENTY of time and room for us common folk to fly. But without them there, I am afraid the 3D flight line will be fairly desolate. A lot less fun for me without my "Peeps". Also, the reason they are not going as far as I know is that they moved the 3D flight line out to the nose bleeds. It has basically become an electric sport flyer event with a million of those battle wings and night flying wings buzzing around.

As far as sponsored pilots, I find the EF team, for the most part, to be very open to talking with the public. I can't say they go around trying to start conversation, but they are extremely approachable.

ryan_m

100cc
I am glad to hear that, and not surprised either. Unfortunately I've never been to an EF sponsored (or attended) event. They are a bit too far for me to get to. Someday I would really like to attend some of their events.

Yes, EF team are not overly out going. To me the example of what team pilots should be are members of Team Horizon. They spend as much time in the pits as they do out on the line.

SEFF 3D line being empty is not a bad thing for me after my winter. I am only getting little bits of flying weather right now.

I think EF would be there if it were not for Chris being in China all month. 3DHS is another story. I thought PA went to this event as well, but they seem to like their spot at Nall e-line.

I am bringing helis and a float planes as well to mix it up.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hey [MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION] I'm in Prescott today and tonight but will be at adobe dam flying in the morning. When do you fly out?

Ah man! I just noticed the date. You're long gone. Let me know if your back this way tomorrow! I fly out of here wednesday morning.

Sorry we missed each other. Should have given more notice. Just a layover. In New Orleans now. Fly low take chances! Ain't crashin ain't tryin!

dth7

Like you Enterprise, I go to events to fly. I don't go to dodge everybody else's plane the whole time. I have zero interest in going to the larger events anymore. Events where the team pilots are flying just about every minute of the day hold no interest for me at all. I understand wanting to show off your sponsors product, I really do. But when you essentially use the entire airspace flying at full throttle very aggressively for just about the whole time the event is going, it makes it really hard for others to enjoy their time there. Seems to me that a lot of representing your sponsor could also be done by making the rounds on the ground, talking to people, helping them with their questions, or their planes, and spending less time flying. Fly a couple times per hour, like most of the rest of the attendees do maybe, and spend time socializing with the other pilots and promoting that way. I have seen a number of events where team pilots all congregate together and talk in their own group, and don't seem to have much time/desire to talk to the common folk.

I really enjoyed the Ft. Smith FLI event a couple years ago, and then last year the Kennett, MO 3dbash. Both were low key, about 40-50 pilots there and to me were tons of fun.

Well said.

SnowDog

I second what DTH said...Ryan, last year at Kennet was a blast, I'm really looking forward to getting back there...to fly and have fun, not to watch a few pilots hog the air.

btw, your experimental flying with your 51 Slick (?) last year was awesome, hoping to see something noteworthy again this year! :)

Kennett is going to be a blast.. i just got my contest director from ama.. Sent in for my event scantion.. soon as it's back.. I'm going start adding to a already great group of sponsors.. and start nailing things down

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Time to tap this brain bank for some advice...

When setting up the servo linkages for a 3D airplane, The goal is to get the full mechanical travel - full elevator, rudder and somewhere in the 55 degrees range of aileron deflection - correct?

What is the best way to achieve this goal - standard servo arms at standard travels typically don't work out.

1) Use a standard arm, then adjust travel via the transmitter to get full range? (100+ to 150 % travel)

or

2) Use longer servo arms to get approximately the right travel - then only use the transmitter travel to fine tune the travel to get full range without any mechanical binding or interferences?

I seem to recall one is preferred over the other - I thought the reason had something to do with servo resolution.

Best way to do it?

Alan

3dNater

Great question Alan. I will make an attempt at answering it based on what I have read from others as well as what makes sense to me.

The short answer is: maximize servo travel and use the shortest arms you can get away with to achieve your desired throws.

By setting the travel as high as possible on your transmitter you are maximizing the useful resolution. This makes the movement on your stick map more accurately to what your servo does.

Long servo arm are often necessary to achieve desired throws even when you have the end points maxed out in your transmitter. When this happens you should still set it to the shortest hole that gets you the throws you want. Make only small adjustments on your end points to avoid binding etc.

One final point. The longer your servo arms are, the harder the servo has to work. If you go too long you will begin to have blow-back on the surfaces. This is the biggest reason we tend to use really beefy servos on our 3d planes compared to what you might use on a cub or warbird.

Hope this helps :)

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Clear and understandable - thanks

Electronic is better than mechanical.

On the point of beefy servos - I have thought about, but not yet adopted an approach that says "pick one size stronger than required by the manufacturer" - for example - I am overhauling a 50" profile YAK - and some of the servos are beginning to really show thier miles.
Instead of replacing with the recommended HS55 (or HS 5055 ) I thought about HS 65/5065s. The larger ones pretty much fit in the same slot, and are only slightly heavier - but thier torque is superior by a non-trivial margin.

As for Cubs and warbirds - wouldn't know - don't have any

:)