• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
^You could be onto something there.

I am personally put into a pinch with this merger... Ben and I... Well we do not see eye to eye on some things, the less I say the better :)

alawson999

70cc twin V2
I think this is probably already on the site, but I can't find it

I knife edge with no problems on most of my airframes, but one just isn't working for me.

I have seen videos of others ke this airframe with no problems

For me, it always pulls to canopy and over to inverted.

CG?

Need a aileron/rudder mix?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=1100]alawson999[/MENTION] you do need to mix that out... you could also check lateral balance as it may be off enough to affect your trim. To start, suspend the plane from the nose and the tip of the rudder to see what it does. If it is dropping to one side you have likely had to set aileron trip to fix it in the air. A small lateral balance issue can affect performance more than you might think.

If the lateral balance looks good you probably have a small imperfection in the airframe that is making it not track as true as you would like. This is nothing to really worry about as nobody builds an absolutely perfect machine. You just need to add a KE mix to compensate. So it will be % of aileron applied when you give a rudder input. I have needed up to about 10% on some planes.

So to recap:

step 1: identify and fix any lateral balance issues
step 2: spend a few minutes trimming your Knife-Edge mix to correct for any coupling not eliminated by step 1.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I really should take the time to mechanically get everything as close as possible. I'm lazy and toss stiff together n go fly lol. A little mix here and there for knife edge and I'm done lol

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=4]3dNater[/MENTION]

Thanks - will give it a try and let you know

One more quick thought... I read your original post too fast lol. Pulling to the canopy means nose heavy or thrust line. Most likely nose heavy. If you try moving the CG back just a little, and re-trim for upright level flight, you might find it goes away. What happens is that when you trim for upright level flight you have some up-elevator in. When you turn it sideways that up elevator translates into pulling to the canopy as now the nose-heavy issue is addressed by rudder.

If you like the CG feel you get then just mix it out. Nobody says you have to have absolute hands-off KE flight and most guys that do are running mixes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Anyone else a VW Split Window freak like me?

Dang I want this one!
VW-Bus.jpgVW-Bus-Front.jpg

This 1962 Volkswagen Bus was once a rusted hunk of metal. Until Swiss coachbuilder Fred Bernhard got his hands on the thing and spent six years turning it into a whole new vehicle. Instead of the engine it was born with, this Volkswagen has an engine straight out of a Porsche 993.
An air-cooled 6-cylinder with 523 horsepower and 558 lb-ft of torque turned the bus into the Volkswagen Bus T1 Race Taxi. It has two turbochargers and is paired to a 6-speed manual gearbox. The bus also gets steering and brakes from the Porsche 993. It all rides on three-piece BBS racing wheels with 285/30/18 tires.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'd love to have a 21 window for hauling gear. I'd probably have to sell both my nuts, a couple fingers, a kidney, and my big toe for one though..

Be cool for traveling to events with the right touches to it..