• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport The Behemoth Yak gets a Behemoth Brother/129" Pilot Yak (2)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Man that's a lot of battery in that thing. Mind you I have never set up anything this big but my 55cc Sukhoi flys on two 2500mah 2S LiFe packs for everything. I generally get in four flights that are 9 minutes long on it each time I take it out and when I recharge my packs I'm only putting in the 600-700mah range back into each pack. Now yes I realize you have quite a few more servos. Care to run down the numbers for me so I better understand?

It's pretty simple, more servos means more current draw. And bigger servos means bigger capacity useage. Bigger packs provide longer run time and can handle heavier loads more easily. On my 126" Extra I was flying it with 2, 2S 3200 packs, ignition and all. I used roughly 500mah per flight with 6 HS-7980TH's and 2 HS-M7990TH's, and 2 HS-5565MH's for throttle and choke. I was recharging after 4 flights and servo performance was notably sluggish after the 3rd flight. As a rule of thumb, you can use these figures:

-30% airplane: 2000mah packs (x2)
-35% airplane: 3500mah packs (x2)
-40% airplane: 5000mah packs (x2)

This is what most run in these airplanes and it seems to be the perfect match. I myself run 5000mah in my 35-40% airplanes, and I only use LiPo because I could feel the servos getting sluggish with the Fromeco 5200 packs I was using before. But to each his own, stangflyer has had great luck with the Fromeco LiIons so it's his obvious first choice, although I think he could get away with the Fromeco 7800 packs in this big airplane :sneaky:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Rob I hate to drag the thread for your Beautifully Bodacious Behemoth Brother of your original Breathtaking Beastie, off subject, but since the subject of the batteries your running came up, do you feel that the Li-Ion's give you enough current output for a High Voltage setup. They say the that current output is somewhat of a limiting factor of Li-Ion's compared to LiPos. The reason I ask is a buddy of mine is not a LiPo guy at all and wants to go HV on his next airplane. He runs Li-Ion's on his 40% Carf Sukhoi now, but it's through a PowerBox turned down to 6 volts for the servos he has.

For the record the 5000mah LiPo's in my new Extra were at 73% and 72% capacity after 3 flights yesterday. I didn't recharge them to see how much they used because I was too hot and tired. I just put them on a storage charge then went home.

thurmma

150cc
Rob I hate to drag the thread for your Beautifully Bodacious Behemoth Brother of your original Breathtaking Beastie, off subject, but since the subject of the batteries your running came up, do you feel that the Li-Ion's give you enough current output for a High Voltage setup. They say the that current output is somewhat of a limiting factor of Li-Ion's compared to LiPos. The reason I ask is a buddy of mine is not a LiPo guy at all and wants to go HV on his next airplane. He runs Li-Ion's on his 40% Carf Sukhoi now, but it's through a PowerBox turned down to 6 volts for the servos he has.

For the record the 5000mah LiPo's in my new Extra were at 73% and 72% capacity after 3 flights yesterday. I didn't recharge them to see how much they used because I was too hot and tired. I just put them on a storage charge then went home.
How about if I start a new thread for this topic? I think a lot of people would be interested to hear everyone's experiences with the different battery chemistry's out there.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

I don't mind. This discussion is about the setup on the big Yak, so I am good with it here. I do feel that the LiIons give more than ample power for the current output on HV that my setups require. Rarely, (if ever) will we see a power requirement larger than what the circuitry can handle. And in all reality, a normal Futaba/JR servo plug end is only rated at 5 amps. Anything over that and we risk turning them into molten plastic and a disasterous outcome is inevitable. Yes I have heard of it happening. Mostly on someones setup that they "shorted" something out. Or in the event of a servo binding unexpectedly. Then of course we get a massive power drain and too many amps can be drawn through a circuit and damage is the end result. Or a completely drained and depleted battery. Which the end result is still the same. Disaster.

But if you think about it, our receivers of today as well as the power safe receivers and Power Expansion boards have busses and circuits that handle far more than we can usually throw at them. So with that being said, a 2000 mah 7.4 volt, (2s) has the same strength as a Lipo of the same size. The "C" rating is what I take to heart. If too much power exceeds that "C" rating, then certainly it does not matter if it is Lipo or LiIon for that matter. Something is going to give. And most generally at the weakest link. I think of it as this: A man can pick up a 50 pound weight...the 7.4 volts. How long he can hold it up...is the strength or the mah. So a 5200 mah LiIon is going to be just as strong as a 5200 mah Lipo. Yes, I do know the two chemistries discharge in completely different ways. If memory serves correctly, a Lipo will hold...hold....hold, then drop off suddenly. A LiIon will slowly dwindle but the drop off rate is much slower than a Lipo. So, Lets say I power up my 260 for the first flight of the day. Voltage and mah should be right near the top of the finish charge. After the second, third and etc. flights, the voltage is going to come down and equalize at the 7.4 while the mah's are going to slowly fall off. A Lipo will come right down to the cell rating of the voltage...while the mah's hold, hold, hold, fall. I think I have this right? Maybe the battery gurus can correct me and elaborate better if I am wrong. Bottom line is this, after six good hard 10 plus minute flights on the 260, the Sukhoi and even the big Yak, I noticed no difference in the speed, strength or overall performance of any of the servo's or surfaces from first to last flight. That I put back in the same equal amount of mah's after the same amounts of flights gives me a solid base line of knowing what my batteries are doing. Now if I were to notice a spike in charge mah's, that they need more to top off, then that is the time to consider replacing them. And most certainly if they get to a point where they are starting to need more to top off, then most certainly the performance of the servos are going to be affected.

Don't know if this answers your question but all in all, I do feel the LiIon has more than enough power to feed a hungry HV system. The 260, Sukhoi, Yak...even my 100cc Edges are living proof.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I didn't get much accomplished last night. And tonight looks to be of the same efficiency rating. Zip, Zero, Zilch. Nada, nothing, not an ounce. I am not sure what it is. I know I am exceedingly more tired lately than I used to be. Just have not been feeling the greatest. Maybe I just need to spend some time at Huckfest.:fist_pump: Soon enough Rob, soon enough. I did get a few things taken care of Sunday though. Pretty self explanatory so I will let the pictures do the talking.

Starting the programming process.

20170723_164614.jpg

The Smart Fly permanently mounted and fired up.

20170723_164620.jpg 20170723_164625.jpg

A little "lefty-lefty-righty-righty" action.

20170723_164632.jpg 20170723_164635.jpg

A different view of the same.

20170723_164659.jpg 20170723_164704.jpg 20170723_164706.jpg

A couple of different views of the SF Power Expander.

20170723_164714.jpg 20170723_164723.jpg 20170723_164804.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Lets see, I also added a few more graphics decals.

20170723_165224.jpg
20170723_165256.jpg

I also got started on the cockpit. Just started..but burned out before I finished.

20170723_165242.jpg

I also took the time to get the "piano" hinge wire for the rudder hinges installed. I didn't use the tail gear supplied with the plane so I set it up the same way I did on the Behemoth Yak. Slice a groove in the bottom of rudder to recess the hinge wire. Then from my endless supply of glow plane parts and supplies, a simple nylon strap and two servo screws to hold it in place and "boom". Done!

20170723_203655.jpg 20170723_203711.jpg 20170723_203922.jpg

Next, I used the same type glow fuel tubing for my rudder/tailwheel steering control. I fought and fought and fought them damn springs to a point I was about to spit nails. I don't know how many times on the 260 I ran into problems. So I started using the fuel tubing method and since that time, not a problem one. Steering is positive, precise and consistent.

20170723_212000.jpg
20170723_212007.jpg

I still have to attach the pull/pull cables and tune them, then tighten everything down. But rudder action is pretty close to being done.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I arrived home from work today to discover a friend came home from vacation a day early.

20170725_191811.jpg

Opening the box was almost as enjoyable as my wedding night. Ok, "ALMOST".

20170725_191913.jpg 20170725_191950.jpg

I am so excited my redhead.jpg came back home to me. Sorry Kelly....:spongebob:

20170725_192142.jpg
20170725_192202.jpg

As I was "lovingly" caressing my beautiful baby with the awesome...red cylinders...I heard a faint little voice behind me. I turned around with the 212 beast in my hands and what did I see? Oh yeah, lil brother. And ya'll know what I did next? Hmmm.....
pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Chrysler had a 318, right? And I think they made that in a "Hemi" version too. I sure wish 3w would make a 318 also.
Behold....3w 318 Red Head Beast.
praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon.gif

20170725_192425.jpg
20170725_192434.jpg