• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m Going/Went Flying Thread

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Flying my big Sukhoi today with Antonio de Souza watching over my shoulders. Mostly working on approach as our tight field is intimidating with a 40% plane. Going straight up for some fun afterwards and the plane was drifting left so I asked Antonio how many clicks of left rudder did he add. He said let me check it out and took the radio from me. A couple of tests didn't go well so he asked 'did you charge your plane?'. I said yes but don't ask, land. He already was. Plane landed, batteries failed and the plane coasted on it own down the runway to a stop. No control at that point. Best guess is 2-3 seconds after touchdown the batteries went dead.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Flying my big Sukhoi today with Antonio de Souza watching over my shoulders. Mostly working on approach as our tight field is intimidating with a 40% plane. Going straight up for some fun afterwards and the plane was drifting left so I asked Antonio how many clicks of left rudder did he add. He said let me check it out and took the radio from me. A couple of tests didn't go well so he asked 'did you charge your plane?'. I said yes but don't ask, land. He already was. Plane landed, batteries failed and the plane coasted on it own down the runway to a stop. No control at that point. Best guess is 2-3 seconds after touchdown the batteries went dead.

Wow. Close call.

WMcNabb

150cc

Scary! Very curious to know what you find upon further investigation.

-Rick-

100cc

Lucky!!

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My memory was incorrect I suspect and I did not have the batteries recharged. Learned that same day/ day before charging is best way to make sure.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

Wowza. Burned up that four leaf clover! I had a similar experience with an old seagull Edge 540 with an OS120 and a 6 cell NiMH with an onboard battery checker. The Battery checker was set to 4.8v not 6V (whoops!!) I was flying and said something isn't right, set up a quick landing, on approach I killed the engine to land quicker and after roll out I had ZERO response. Super lucky. Nothing like a 40%er though!!!