• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m Going/Went Flying Thread

TonyHallo

150cc
Another trying day at the field with the One Design. Checked voltage coming out of the IBEC, 5.4 volts open circuit, decided to measure the loaded voltage, 1.5 volts. I bought a spare with me, tested it open circuit, 5.9 volt was the lowest setting I found by moving the jumpers. Started engine, started easy but left cylinder was dead, new plug, still dead, swapped plug wires, still dead. I brought the ignition module off the crashed Cherokee engine with me, swapped it out but the timing was too far advanced. Went back home and took the magnet off the Cherokee engine, back to the field, timing was off, threw the towel in.
I did fly my friend's 100cc AJ Slick, what a great flying plane. He just got done putting in a new Power Box Mercury SRS in it. Last time it was flown my friend handed me the transmitter after he flew it. I taxi to middle of the runway and lost all control, my friend ran out and grabbed the plane, the power lights were lit on the old Mercury but there was no control, he sent that box back to Power Box USA for evaluation, I think he said the repairs would be $60 if they didn't have to send it back to Germany. I flew the plane first on my second flight, my friend took over after I landed and flew for several minutes, the left wheel fell off on landing and that ended our day.
When I gone home I sorted out the timing on the engine and plan to try again tomorrow. The original ignition module was set at 5 BTDC, I swapped parts around and now have the replacement set at 3 BTDC, close enough. Hopefully the left cylinder will light!.

-Rick-

100cc
Another trying day at the field with the One Design. Checked voltage coming out of the IBEC, 5.4 volts open circuit, decided to measure the loaded voltage, 1.5 volts. I bought a spare with me, tested it open circuit, 5.9 volt was the lowest setting I found by moving the jumpers. Started engine, started easy but left cylinder was dead, new plug, still dead, swapped plug wires, still dead. I brought the ignition module off the crashed Cherokee engine with me, swapped it out but the timing was too far advanced. Went back home and took the magnet off the Cherokee engine, back to the field, timing was off, threw the towel in.
I did fly my friend's 100cc AJ Slick, what a great flying plane. He just got done putting in a new Power Box Mercury SRS in it. Last time it was flown my friend handed me the transmitter after he flew it. I taxi to middle of the runway and lost all control, my friend ran out and grabbed the plane, the power lights were lit on the old Mercury but there was no control, he sent that box back to Power Box USA for evaluation, I think he said the repairs would be $60 if they didn't have to send it back to Germany. I flew the plane first on my second flight, my friend took over after I landed and flew for several minutes, the left wheel fell off on landing and that ended our day.
When I gone home I sorted out the timing on the engine and plan to try again tomorrow. The original ignition module was set at 5 BTDC, I swapped parts around and now have the replacement set at 3 BTDC, close enough. Hopefully the left cylinder will light!.
Was the plane okay after the one wheel landing?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
A great day of flying. Antonio de Souza offered to come and fly with me so game on. DA170 in the Sukhoi is on fire these days, might go bigger prop as the 3 blade prop rips easily. Swapped the 3W106 out on my Yak and installed a DA120, more prop ripping, I haven't used this engine in a few years, forgot how light and strong it is.

Dialing in the Carbon Cub (Antonio did) and find it too slow for me. Barely enough power to do a split s. I'll probably sell it.

However, I've never had 3 flyable planes, neither have I ever flown 3 planes in a day. Until today. And home for college football.

A little sketchy on the way up, heavy fog. It cleared eventually.

68934417509--4B16D743-A2DA-476D-B849-5B22936A9DCF.fullsizerender.jpg

IMG-9660.jpg
68934417509--4B16D743-A2DA-476D-B849-5B22936A9DCF.fullsizerender.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well did some flying today with my Twisted hobby plane indoors. That is an eye opener. Loved the plane but flying in a small indoor arena is difficult. You do not have time think and you are turning all the time. Most important is I was flying. Just have to get accustomed to flying inside a shoebox.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well did some flying today with my Twisted hobby plane indoors. That is an eye opener. Loved the plane but flying in a small indoor arena is difficult. You do not have time think and you are turning all the time. Most important is I was flying. Just have to get accustomed to flying inside a shoebox.
Which one? I thought about getting a “Clik”?
For indoor flying. Much slower. Also fly
On 2S

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
It’s twisted hobby 24 inch wing span. 2s 300mAh. Weight is 125 grams

Mini crack yak right? That’s the one I have. You really gotta play with the cg and rates to get comfortable with it. Some times the prop can make all the difference. It’s been a while since I flew mine.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Happy with the CG I think but I had cut the rates way back it was uncontrollable I am down from 100% to 40% and I can now fly it. One thing I did notice is you can’t cut the throttle it just stops flying having a hard time with that but just a matter of time I will get it.