• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I got a break in the weather and took the 330 out for some test flights. After 5 flights with the highest temp being 197, I am feeling pretty good about the GP-176EVO! The video is of the first flight out of 5 today :) Sorry no 3D, this is my IMAC bird :)

Ooops..... video is set to private. Make public please Mark. Would love to see it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I got a break in the weather and took the 330 out for some test flights. After 5 flights with the highest temp being 197, I am feeling pretty good about the GP-176EVO! The video is of the first flight out of 5 today :) Sorry no 3D, this is my IMAC bird :)

Yup...that worked. Very nice, smooth flying plane. She looks pretty stable. Course, you could make a flying stick look smooth. :yesss:
That GP sounds vaguely familiar. Very much like mine did on the Sukhoi.
I just wish I could have gotten the needles to dial in on mine. It was just so sporadic.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

Just out of curiosity, what exhaust and prop did you go with on the 176?

sweetpea

100cc
I finally got out for a flight on Saturday after not flying since Jun of last year (life problems got in the way!). I had my new girlfriend with me who had never really seen RC planes before (other than when I first met her and told her of the addiction). I asked her if she wanted to go and gave her the out.... I didn't expect much, she was on call and doing work from her phone at the field. She asked to help put the plane together and then when I flew the first flight I didn't ask her to watch or anything and she actually watched and yelled..........."Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that!" Real concern in her voice that something was drastically wrong, but the smoke system was working just fine. We'll see how she does over time but at least the first intro she didn't sit grumpy! I'm happy as long as she tolerates it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I finally got out for a flight on Saturday after not flying since Jun of last year (life problems got in the way!). I had my new girlfriend with me who had never really seen RC planes before (other than when I first met her and told her of the addiction). I asked her if she wanted to go and gave her the out.... I didn't expect much, she was on call and doing work from her phone at the field. She asked to help put the plane together and then when I flew the first flight I didn't ask her to watch or anything and she actually watched and yelled..........."Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that!" Real concern in her voice that something was drastically wrong, but the smoke system was working just fine. We'll see how she does over time but at least the first intro she didn't sit grumpy! I'm happy as long as she tolerates it.
Sweet...she have an available sister? Lol

thurmma

150cc
Course, you could make a flying stick look smooth.
That was one of the smoother flights of the day :) Figured out that without the spinner it is a touch tail heavy which made it super sensitive to the elevator so, it took a few flights to get used to that but, by the 4th flight I was able to get through the Intermediate sequence without zeroing everything :) I even managed to get the roller done and have it look semi decent.

I love the RE3's on this engine. I am currently running 13 3/4" headers and it is not real peaky, just the way I like it. I know I may be giving up a bit on performance but, I believe in using the whole throttle range, not just off or full throttle :)

The Falcon 30x13W is nowhere near enough prop for this engine and it isn't even broke in yet. I have a Mejzlik 31x12EVO-L that I am going to throw on and see what happens. If that isn't enough, then I will try a friends 29x12n 3 blade. I have a strange feeling that I will end up with a 30x12 3 blade before it is all done.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That was one of the smoother flights of the day :) Figured out that without the spinner it is a touch tail heavy which made it super sensitive to the elevator so, it took a few flights to get used to that but, by the 4th flight I was able to get through the Intermediate sequence without zeroing everything :) I even managed to get the roller done and have it look semi decent.

I love the RE3's on this engine. I am currently running 13 3/4" headers and it is not real peaky, just the way I like it. I know I may be giving up a bit on performance but, I believe in using the whole throttle range, not just off or full throttle :)

The Falcon 30x13W is nowhere near enough prop for this engine and it isn't even broke in yet. I have a Mejzlik 31x12EVO-L that I am going to throw on and see what happens. If that isn't enough, then I will try a friends 29x12n 3 blade. I have a strange feeling that I will end up with a 30x12 3 blade before it is all done.
Personally I like your setup. Maybe it was the smooth pipes I had on mine. I was running a Falcon 32x11. And as you seen in the maiden video, it was ripping the snot out of that prop. Maybe if I had gone to different exhaust huh?

thurmma

150cc
Maybe if I had gone to different exhaust huh?
It is funny you mention that because I was thinking the same thing :) For the type of flying you like I think cans would be a better choice because they tend to not be as finicky about the rpm range you are running in. The Proflow cans from @Planebender are supposed to be the sweet spot for quiet and all around power, especially for the 3D flyer's and they sound awesome :)