• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok boys looks like I will not be able to post here anymore cold, wind, snow and the field is closed down for the year. Not a good feeling. I am already having withdrawals.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_9365.JPG

Finally flew my 71" slick after the new horizontal/elevators, and the additional servo! Flew great!! A bit tail heavy... sure spins the tail around! Overall I am pleased with what feels like more tail authority and integrity. Had to fly between snow flakes today... dark.... gloomy... it must be winter!

Edit!! That is indeed my aileron hinge tape... Transmitter show 50hours on this plane... love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Decided to take the 91" out yesterday since it has not been flown in several months. I was a little worried the DA70 might not start easily but it was up and roaring within a handful of flips!!

I still need to move some weight rearward, she's definitely nose heavy. Had a little incident with the wing contacting the ground yesterday at the end of the first flight :rolleyes::eek::oblong:

20161211_091729.jpg
20161211_091837.jpg

Managed to land it safe and sound, the only damage was the left wing panel. I tried to break the panel up afterwards to see where it would give and she didn't want to even budge!! These wings are STRONG! :cool:;)

New wing panels will be ordered up, I want to replace both since the right wing panel has repairs done to it earlier this year, I figure it's best to start with 2 fresh wings.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Finally getting a Maiden in Christmas eve! :woohoo!: The Pilot 78" 330sc turned out to be a "chunky monkey" as a 12s set up at 15 pounds but the power that these Turnigy SK3 motors have will get the job done. 6374 192kv and 20x10 (23x8 coming for it soon). The 149kv is better suited to a large cub or decathlon (Hmn...) :cautious:.

1218161904-00.jpg
1221162017-01.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Looks AWESOME Kelly. . . . :yesss:. The weather around here is supposed to be chilly tomorrow and rain on Sunday, but Monday is supposed to be a good day for some flying .

Good luck with your maiden. Can't wait for the flight report . . . :big_yes:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just got back from the field and the 78" extra is still in its "new factory" condition:attaboy:. Maiden flight required minor R- aileron trim and minor U- elevator trim. I got another weight of the plane completely assembled and was concerned.....15 pounds 10 ounces! ouch! The first landing about 6"off the deck showed the high wing loading by stalling clean and dropping on both wheels at a moderately slow speed. When the aura 8 is on it wants to keep the nose up. Subsequent landings (3) I just kept the speed up a bit and held down elevator slightly keeping the nose down and when time to flare just let off the stick and the aura landed the plane perfectly on the mains with a moderate roll out on grass . Now the disappointing news.......The ESC would shut down the motor because of voltage drop on the cells. Being light on the throttle management I could get some nice tumbles. waterfalls. pop tops but harrier and hovering low and knife edge has the risk of losing power during the pull outs. No full power up lines or verticle as well:(. The plane flies really good but it is way to heavy for reliable 3D work. I think I am going to chunk an old DL 50 on it and be under 14 pounds for sure. Maybe 13.5 or less.

1224161427-00.jpg