• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Glad I finally got 2 solid flights in on the Extra without something keeping me from flying it :oblong:

20170514_100335.jpg

Saturday I had a small window to try and get a flight on this thing to see if all my problems were solved so I strolled by my old club that is closer to where I live and was promptly informed by the club Secretary that, due to the club Presidents orders, that I was not allowed to fly at that club anymore :eek::confused:

I have no clue what the ordeal there is but now I understand why the club membership is 1/2 this year than last year. It's a shame, it's such a nice facility ruined by politics :(

Sunday rolled around and I was able to sneak out before my mother was up to get 2 flights in at my usual club. Such a fun airplane :D

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Congrats Rob! Very glad to hear all went well. You did a beautiful job on the Pitts. There is nothing like the feeling that "I built that thing". In these days of Arfs, a lot of people never get to feel that since of pride. Hopefully this site with threads like this, will get a few more people to build something.

I'll be maidening mine in the next few weeks, and I hope everything goes as well as yours.
Doug

Glad I finally got 2 solid flights in on the Extra without something keeping me from flying it :oblong:

View attachment 95768

Saturday I had a small window to try and get a flight on this thing to see if all my problems were solved so I strolled by my old club that is closer to where I live and was promptly informed by the club Secretary that, due to the club Presidents orders, that I was not allowed to fly at that club anymore :eek::confused:

I have no clue what the ordeal there is but now I understand why the club membership is 1/2 this year than last year. It's a shame, it's such a nice facility ruined by politics :(

Sunday rolled around and I was able to sneak out before my mother was up to get 2 flights in at my usual club. Such a fun airplane :D
Sounds like me from the previous club. That's just fine with me. I refuse to amaze and mesmerize or grace them with my awesome presence. Lol

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
@Xpress is this a no 3D thing? We've been pretty lucky so far about 3D flying in our club. There are people that whine about it, but it never gets any traction. One of the best 3D guys in the area has been a member of our club since it started I think, and his dad I believe is a founding member. They are both very well liked at the club so no one ever makes a move to ban 3D. Of course that doesn't stop a few guys from trying to make other unwanted rules like we've been going through lately. :mad:

Nothing worse than a Safety Nazi trying to force his will on everyone else.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
@Xpress is this a no 3D thing? We've been pretty lucky so far about 3D flying in our club. There are people that whine about it, but it never gets any traction. One of the best 3D guys in the area has been a member of our club since it started I think, and his dad I believe is a founding member. They are both very well liked at the club so no one ever makes a move to ban 3D. Of course that doesn't stop a few guys from trying to make other unwanted rules like we've been going through lately. :mad:

Nothing worse than a Safety Nazi trying to force his will on everyone else.
Isn't that the truth?

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
There are always a few that want to dictate what they think is best for the whole group. If the club is large there should be a vote among members and not so much personal bias that controls it all.

This is not to say we don't need controls in place, but over control is the problem. Good controls are helpful. It is like the marking on the highway that helps us stay in line when needed.

I am often amazed at how one or two can control the whole thing and about destroy the club. Even one can make things really bad if allowed! Don't you just cringe when you show up and an RC field and for no reason at all but being a control freak the "control lord" comes over and scrutinizes you as if you are a scum bag criminal?

It is all about that person making sure you know they are in the seat, the throne, of power over you. That has always left a bad taste in my mouth and it is disrespectful for the most part.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't you just cringe when you show up and an RC field and for no reason at all but being a control freak the "control lord" comes over and scrutinizes you as if you are a scum bag criminal?

It is all about that person making sure you know they are in the seat, the throne, of power over you.

Thank has happened to me twice. The first time was in 1985 on the very first day I flew an RC airplane. The club treasurer came up to me when I was done and cleaning my airplane and started questioning me like I was a murder suspect. I was in a great mood so it took him a while to get me mad enough to start giving it right back to him. I guess he wasn't used to that, because he just gave me a surprised look and walked off to annoy someone else.

The second time was on my first flight of the year in 2015. It was a beautiful day and I was enjoying the hell out of my first flight. I had the sky to myself and I was flying an angled pattern across our "L" shaped runways to stay away from the low morning sun. After I landed I was wheeling my Edge back to the pits when the safety officer comes marching over telling me how I broke club rules by flying using both runways at the same time. I asked him when did that rule pass and he said at the last meeting. I told him I was at that meeting and you weren't, and we didn't pass any rules. He insisted I was wrong and it kept escalating from there and after a while I totally lost my cool and started yelling. I'm not proud of that, but you've got to stand up for yourself. It turns out I was right and there was no such rule.

Well here we are two years later and it turns out there are a few guys trying to jam that rule, and several others down our throats. But from what I heard from the vast majority of guys that were there Sunday, I don't think they'll even come close to passing if the whole club has a say.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It's crazy how what is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander under some circumstances. Being the previous safety officer of the last club i belonged to, i diligently tried to make sure the set rules in place were observed and abided by. But not to the extreme of forcing it down anyone's throat. Being very cautious and observant myself, I too followed every rule to the letter of that in which I was charged to enforce. And yet, here's the kicker...there were many members that took offense to my bringing to their attention something they over looked. Anf they would go so far as to find fault with my flying style...though totally safe and insuring to the well being of all members and our field. But bring up one minor infraction that a guy is undeniably guilty of, and the first thing remembered and first uttered comment is something to the tune of, "Well what about you hovering an inch off the runway and bumping your rudder then going straight up?" All I can say to that is if a guy is not capable or out of control, then he should be monitored and maybe restricted. But a totally competent pilot should not be chastised or crucified for his capabilities and skill. I say, just sit back and enjoy the show. Jealousy and narrow mindedness are the quickest killers of the hobby. I am just glad to be a member of B.A.R.K.S. now. Apprection, love and respect go along way. My mother used to tell me all the time, "you catch more bees with honey than vinegar!" A little respect goes a very long way.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
It's crazy how what is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander under some circumstances. Being the previous safety officer of the last club i belonged to, i diligently tried to make sure the set rules in place were observed and abided by. But not to the extreme of forcing it down anyone's throat. Being very cautious and observant myself, I too followed every rule to the letter of that in which I was charged to enforce. And yet, here's the kicker...there were many members that took offense to my bringing to their attention something they over looked. Anf they would go so far as to find fault with my flying style...though totally safe and insuring to the well being of all members and our field. But bring up one minor infraction that a guy is undeniably guilty of, and the first thing remembered and first uttered comment is something to the tune of, "Well what about you hovering an inch off the runway and bumping your rudder then going straight up?" All I can say to that is if a guy is not capable or out of control, then he should be monitored and maybe restricted. But a totally competent pilot should not be chastised or crucified for his capabilities and skill. I say, just sit back and enjoy the show. Jealousy and narrow mindedness are the quickest killers of the hobby. I am just glad to be a member of B.A.R.K.S. now. Apprection, love and respect go along way. My mother used to tell me all the time, "you catch more bees with honey than vinegar!" A little respect goes a very long way.
Yep, well put response. Respect is key. There are butt-faces on both sides that don't know what that means. :D

We should try our best to get along with any and all rules and if some rules are crazy then get involved to get them changed for the better.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm a former Safety Officer myself, as well as Field Marshal, Secretary, Vice-President, Newsletter Editor and Contest Director, and I can say I would never do another one of those jobs, period. That club had between 100 and 120 members at all times and about 90% or more of them were great and I never had an ounce of trouble from them. But there was a handful of guys that made those jobs hell at times.

If I saw someone breaking rules, I was always polite and friendly. Being an ass chewer just breeds resentment. There were two guys I did have to jump on pretty good, but they were drinking and flying. That is the one thing the club had zero tolerance for. If the property owner would have ever come by and seen that we would have been out of a flying field so fast it would make your head spin.