• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale The Naked Truth of Covering a Plane

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I have a "Build" related question, that's sort of an appendix to the recent revamp of my Great Planes Extra 300. So today I was flying and all of the sudden I saw a giant chunk flutter away from behind the plane. I immediately thought it was the rudder or an elevator, or some part of the plane, but when it kept flying and I had control to land I was puzzled... until I got it on the ground.

About half of the covering and the graphics I had just put on ripped up.
SO, THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD: What do you guys use to seal the seams when covering a plane or adding graphics to avoid this happening?

The following photos are the before and after. I flew a couple more times, and thank goodness it's an easy fix, but I don't want anyone else to work hard on a plane and have this happen, so maybe this thread will allow for that in the future.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Here's what it looked like before....
Photo Dec 28, 11 41 23.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Do you know if the covering is Monokote or Ultracote? I've personally never seen this with Ultracote. I did have one experience with Monokote though. On a much smaller scale though. That really sucks. I have seen pictures of your plane before. I always thought it was outstanding.

Wacobipe

100cc
What material did you use to cover it...is the base orange monocots/ultracote? And the graphics are complex so I assume they are printed...what material is that?

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Yea, I covered it with Ultracote and then the graphics are printed vinyl. After I had started I thought maybe I should've covered the top first and the bottom second so the bottom seam covered the top, but I did it the other way. Can I seal it with something there at the leading edge?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I always cover bottom to top so that the seams overlap down. Can't understand why Ultra did this. I have never used a seam sealer, but I do know there is one available. Some guys use clear finger nail polish.