• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale The Naked Truth of Covering a Plane

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The difference I see on your as compared to most is the top of the wing covering usually comes down the leading edge of the wing and ends up going slightly back under. Yours stops on top and is exposed to the wind head on.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Did you by chance lift the graphic at all during it's application process? Perhaps put it on, then pulled up to get an edge to trim a nice line? This would have also lifted that LE of the covering.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
The difference I see on your as compared to most is the top of the wing covering usually comes down the leading edge of the wing and ends up going slightly back under. Yours stops on top and is exposed to the wind head on.

Exactly, and I did it so that I could get the black and orange to meet perfectly, but after I did it I realized that it might be a problem. I guess when I redo it I'll try the clear nail polish or maybe use clear tape just along that leading edge area.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Did you by chance lift the graphic at all during it's application process? Perhaps put it on, then pulled up to get an edge to trim a nice line? This would have also lifted that LE of the covering.

No, I didn't lift anything... and actually I had the watch faces all printed larger than necessary so all I had to do was trim away the excess after application.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I always cover bottom to top so that the seams overlap down. Can't understand why Ultra did this. I have never used a seam sealer, but I do know there is one available. Some guys use clear finger nail polish.

Maybe I just missed a spot with the iron. I felt like I went over the whole plane really well. Oh well... I'll see what I can find out about the clear nail polish.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Maybe I just missed a spot with the iron. I felt like I went over the whole plane really well. Oh well... I'll see what I can find out about the clear nail polish.
The watch faces.... were they applied "over" the covering? Or were they layed down over bare sheeting with them overlapping the covering?

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I have used the clear fingernail polish and it works fine. I've also used a 3" strip of clear monokote over the leading edge to seal all the seams. The monokote is more visible than the nail polish, but both work well.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
No, I didn't lift anything... and actually I had the watch faces all printed larger than necessary so all I had to do was trim away the excess after application.
I think you solved your own mystery. If you trimmed the graphics after you applied them, I'd say you scored the ultracote at the very least. Maybe even cut through it in some places. Which made it really susceptible to lifting and tearing.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
The watch faces.... were they applied "over" the covering? Or were they layed down over bare sheeting with them overlapping the covering?

The graphics are placed over the covering... which they're designed for... The covering is what pulled up because of where the seam is. I should've ran the seam differently...

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I have used the clear fingernail polish and it works fine. I've also used a 3" strip of clear monokote over the leading edge to seal all the seams. The monokote is more visible than the nail polish, but both work well.

Oh cool! Well, I'll try the nail polish. That sounds like the best option.