• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale The Naked Truth of Covering a Plane

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I think you solved your own mystery. If you trimmed the graphics after you applied them, I'd say you scored the ultracote at the very least. Maybe even cut through it in some places. Which made it really susceptible to lifting and tearing.

You may have a point, because I had to trim it exactly at the leading edge where it met the black. hmm... Well, the next one I'll have to cut it first and then apply. Good call!

SleepyC

150cc
How did you prep the surface of the wood before covering? Did you touch the wood with your hands after final sanding? Most of the problems I see with covering come from improper handling of the wood prior to putting covering on.

I was taught BY THE BEST (look for teh Toledo winner with your very scheme)... after a nice 800 grit then 1200 grit sandpapering, to shop vac the wood with the soft brush attachment, THEN use the gummy scheese cloth to pull out ALL the wood dust.. then wearing rubber gloves rub “prepsall” all over the wood and let it dry... NOW you are ready to cover, and always wear a covering glove or cotton gloves after you use the prepsall. Your hands are oil farms and t

Flyrcjoe

70cc twin V2
How did you prep the surface of the wood before covering? Did you touch the wood with your hands after final sanding? Most of the problems I see with covering come from improper handling of the wood prior to putting covering on.

I was taught BY THE BEST (look for teh Toledo winner with your very scheme)... after a nice 800 grit then 1200 grit sandpapering, to shop vac the wood with the soft brush attachment, THEN use the gummy scheese cloth to pull out ALL the wood dust.. then wearing rubber gloves rub “prepsall” all over the wood and let it dry... NOW you are ready to cover, and always wear a covering glove or cotton gloves after you use the prepsall. Your hands are oil farms and t

Who makes (prepsall) I have never heard of it.

Think of covering as shingles on a roof. All seams away from the airflow, and start at the bottom and work up. If cutting over the surface of the covering is needed for trim cut before attaching the outer edge and stick something like a thin metal ruler under the trim piece so you are not cutting the base covering. On complicated schemes like the Extra in my avitar I seal the graphics and trim with automotive clear.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Think of covering as shingles on a roof. All seams away from the airflow, and start at the bottom and work up. If cutting over the surface of the covering is needed for trim cut before attaching the outer edge and stick something like a thin metal ruler under the trim piece so you are not cutting the base covering. On complicated schemes like the Extra in my avitar I seal the graphics and trim with automotive clear.

Yea, one hard thing about the scheme that I have is that the leading edge to a very specific point are black, which is also the bottom color of the wing, and then the top is orange. In order to get that perfectly straight I started with the black and used the factory edge of the orange, which, normally would've worked perfectly because the top color would've folded to the underside of the leading edge, but I just wasn't thinking... So I'm going to have to seal it somehow.

What automotive clear do you use?

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I go over every seam and edge with Monokote trim seal, marvelous stuff. With a cotton ball or clean cloth and followed by a seperate clean cloth again, gives that dipped in plastic, painted look and adheres every surface to every surface, blends edges and seams to invisible,buy 2 bottles cuz your going to LOVE it, dunno how I got thru life without it before.
As far as graphics and decals go, clear nail polish seems to work in trouble spots but never had one lift off like that so cant comment there. Damn tragic but glad its in one piece, must have been a " soil yourself" moment when it came off.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I go over every seam and edge with Monokote trim seal, marvelous stuff. With a cotton ball or clean cloth and followed by a seperate clean cloth again, gives that dipped in plastic, painted look and adheres every surface to every surface, blends edges and seams to invisible,buy 2 bottles cuz your going to LOVE it, dunno how I got thru life without it before.
As far as graphics and decals go, clear nail polish seems to work in trouble spots but never had one lift off like that so cant comment there. Damn tragic but glad its in one piece, must have been a " soil yourself" moment when it came off.

Awesome! I didn't know about that stuff! I'll have to get some! Yea, the graphics are great, really top quality and I'm positive that it was the covering underneath that came up. I will seal them as well to be safe.

I really thought it was the rudder or something at first, because this big chunk came flying off, but when I still had control and was able to turn to land I was really confused. Haha! It was a good lesson though, and now I'm learning a lot from it!