• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it is a lot of work doing the full layout for this fancy delta wing snow/sea plane. Been at it for almost a full week and still not done. Every time I look at a particular detail I say I can make that easier or lighter or better and just keeps getting more complicated in the fine details. Just have to do all the servo mounting plates and geometry. Will also have to come up with a way how to join several parts to make one side.
@BalsaDust have you ever made a single part out of several standard sheets sizes (3-36) so they fit together and make a good glue joint. If anyone else has done it your help will be appreciated.

-Rick-

100cc
Nice to see it runs well right out of the box. Always gives you a good feeling and makes the first flight that much easier. How sells RCGF Stinger engine in Canada. Four more weeks and then you can go and play with it at the flying field, what field do you fly at.

I bought it from the states. I just made sure I was getting a real RCGF stinger. Not a VV knockoff. I fought all last summer with my DA70 trying to get a decent idle, It would always idle to fast for me, 1500 1600 rpm. It wouldn't roll on grass at idle but had a heck of a time trying to get the plane slowed down for landing. So to see this motor idle down enough not to roll on pavement is a treat! A friend of mine tells me that he has one that will idle at 700rpm all day!!

Ya lets hope they don't lock it down longer. My wife and I just got our first covid shot last week so I feel better about that.

I am the president of the Saugeen RC flyers.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Glad to hear you got your shots, now you have to wait to get the second one hopefully soon.
Sorry to hear about the DA70 have new one in the box, but the high idle is a problem hopefully not for me our field is grass . But landing can be a problem with a high idle and a light plane.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I bought it from the states. I just made sure I was getting a real RCGF stinger. Not a VV knockoff. I fought all last summer with my DA70 trying to get a decent idle, It would always idle to fast for me, 1500 1600 rpm. It wouldn't roll on grass at idle but had a heck of a time trying to get the plane slowed down for landing. So to see this motor idle down enough not to roll on pavement is a treat! A friend of mine tells me that he has one that will idle at 700rpm all day!!

Ya lets hope they don't lock it down longer. My wife and I just got our first covid shot last week so I feel better about that.

I am the president of the Saugeen RC flyers.
If I may ask why did you not get a GP76 .

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Making progress slowly got the aileron servos figured out and the necessary parts drawn up to make it fit. And the rib cutouts made so it fits together.
908FE386-F70A-4507-9ACF-517AFA9F4DB7.jpeg

-Rick-

100cc
This motor is in my 17 pound Vertigo. I believe it will perform well. To tell the truth I was not that happy with my DA 70. But I bought it used, still payed more for it than this RCFG 70.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This motor is in my 17 pound Vertigo. I believe it will perform well. To tell the truth I was not that happy with my DA 70. But I bought it used, still payed more for it than this RCFG 70.
That is disappointing hopefully my DA 70 works a little better you never know. What mufflers did you have on the engine. I will be starting out on stock ones. Not a fan of tune pipes or canisters.
Hopefully some time later in the season when all this nonsense has slowed down and you are holding a fun flying or just getting out I can come up for visit to the flying field it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive to the field.

-Rick-

100cc
That is disappointing hopefully my DA 70 works a little better you never know. What mufflers did you have on the engine. I will be starting out on stock ones. Not a fan of tune pipes or canisters.
Hopefully some time later in the season when all this nonsense has slowed down and you are holding a fun flying or just getting out I can come up for visit to the flying field it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive to the field.
I ordered a canister with two manifold inlets from Germany for my DA70, I made the manifolds to the same volume each to see if it would change the performance. It did not. But everyone at my flying field said that it seemed quite. I took a DB reading and it was almost the same as most canisters but for some reason it seem to be not as loud, it has no "bark" to it. I normally put canisters on everything as I like quite motors. This RCGF 70cc will be my first with out and just stock mufflers. I did that for weight, I really wanted this plane light. If it seems to loud for me at the field later I will put a canister on it.

It would be nice to meet you snoop!! Want field do you fly at?