• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Off with the Chinese Economy class twin....
20170722_110232.jpg
And on with the Superior German Engineered Red Head.

20170722_145648.jpg

And how about a little ignition system to make them NGK's sparkle?

20170722_152813.jpg

I have to order the headers, canisters and a 90 degree velocity stack for the dub twin. So I will put it off to the side and get back to the Behemoth Yak's brother. Too many projects, too little time. LOL

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Off with the Chinese Economy class twin....
View attachment 97697
And on with the Superior German Engineered Red Head.

View attachment 97699

And how about a little ignition system to make them NGK's sparkle?

View attachment 97700

I have to order the headers, canisters and a 90 degree velocity stack for the dub twin. So I will put it off to the side and get back to the Behemoth Yak's brother. Too many projects, too little time. LOL

Must say that does look a lot nicer. Be interesting to how more power you accurately feel. What is the propeller size difference between the two engines.
I thought that this engine would have a rear intake for the carburetor.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Must say that does look a lot nicer. Be interesting to how more power you accurately feel. What is the propeller size difference between the two engines.
Not sure on the power difference. From what I have experienced first hand with the DLE 111, it is an "AMAZING" little engine. On my PAU Extra, the 111 v3 was turning a 28x10 Falcon at 6600 static. This was with MTW 75 canisters and MTW 50mm drop headers. The 111 v3 on my first Pilot Edge was not quite as strong. Only coming in at 6300 with the same setup. Why the difference? The MTW 75's I had on the Extra were the longer but smaller diameter. The cans on the Edge were the larger diameter but shorter canisters. Both being front dump design. The 111 v4 that was on the new Edge was not run with canisters but still with stock exhaust came in around 6100 to 6200. From all I have seen in videos and from what people tell me, the 3w106cs will rip the snot outta the Falcon 28x10. So, it will be getting the MTW 75 smaller diameter/longer canisters. I would expect to see at least 6500 minimum. Travis Bruam, (I think that is how it is spelled) does a lot of engine and canister testing. His reports on the 106 were simply outstanding. I will post some numbers once I have the girl running.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not sure on the power difference. From what I have experienced first hand with the DLE 111, it is an "AMAZING" little engine. On my PAU Extra, the 111 v3 was turning a 28x10 Falcon at 6600 static. This was with MTW 75 canisters and MTW 50mm drop headers. The 111 v3 on my first Pilot Edge was not quite as strong. Only coming in at 6300 with the same setup. Why the difference? The MTW 75's I had on the Extra were the longer but smaller diameter. The cans on the Edge were the larger diameter but shorter canisters. Both being front dump design. The 111 v4 that was on the new Edge was not run with canisters but still with stock exhaust came in around 6100 to 6200. From all I have seen in videos and from what people tell me, the 3w106cs will rip the snot outta the Falcon 28x10. So, it will be getting the MTW 75 smaller diameter/longer canisters. I would expect to see at least 6500 minimum. Travis Bruam, (I think that is how it is spelled) does a lot of engine and canister testing. His reports on the 106 were simply outstanding. I will post some numbers once I have the girl running.

Sounds good yes the gentleman you are talking about lives about a hour from me but I do not believe he has ever owned anything for longer than 6 months. He does a lot of building and engine testing but I do not believe he has much experience in long term life of an engine.

Alky6

150cc
First attempt at baffling on this little 75" extra. I'm happy with how it looks. Now to mock up the other side then glue it all up and add some black paint. View attachment 97701

Nice work. FWIW, You might consider putting some large tri-stock in the corners of the baffling at the top of the head to reduce some lost air there. On hot days mine would fade on a long upline and the temps would get over 300. Could have been a combination of things on mine, but it did help filling those corners to make sure you got all the air across the fins. Final fix was shrouding the entire cylinder. Also, if you have a hole in the cowl in front of the carb, close it off.

BalsaDust

Nice work. FWIW, You might consider putting some large tri-stock in the corners of the baffling at the top of the head to reduce some lost air there. On hot days mine would fade on a long upline and the temps would get over 300. Could have been a combination of things on mine, but it did help filling those corners to make sure you got all the air across the fins. Final fix was shrouding the entire cylinder. Also, if you have a hole in the cowl in front of the carb, close it off.

You meen a hole in the cowl like this? LOL. plane used to have a da35 on it. I plan to order a new cowl at some point though. Also I planned to add tristock to the corners for some strength as well. This was just a mock up and all taped together.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 161

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I am building a Great Planes Ryan STA EP little electric from a kit. Today, it was ridiculously hot so I got a bunch complete on it. I sheeted the top of the fuselage, made the hatch, glued the motor mount, and currently working on a modification to that motor mount so it will work with an outrunner motor. It was designed to use a gearbox before all the LiPo stuff came along. This should be a fun little plane. This particular kit is not for beginners.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You meen a hole in the cowl like this? LOL. plane used to have a da35 on it. I plan to order a new cowl at some point though. Also I planned to add tristock to the corners for some strength as well. This was just a mock up and all taped together.
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif
hee hee