• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have 91% that I tried using last night with NO luck, sadly. The paint is about 6 years old. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

What I have found is "if" the paint is relatively fresh, the 91% Alcohol usually does a pretty good job. Especially if it is just overspray. But I had no, "ZERO", "ZIP", "ZILCH" luck when attempting to remove a little paint from one of my aircraft. (Don't remember which one) I tried about everything in the cabinets I had and nothing would take it off. I was very afraid of damaging the clear layer of the covering so I was very reluctant to get too aggressive with compounds. Then I remembered the Behemoth Yak a couple of years ago when I did the "FIRST" recover job on her. Enter stage left,
20170923_084545.jpg
It removed all the residual color from the ironed in covering in the wood, cleaned up most of the "smoke oil" damage in the back of the airframe. I then carefully tried it on some oversprayed paint and wah-laa...it worked great. Also gave it a whirl on the underside of the Ultrakote striping to help the adhesive keep things in place. It is now my "go to" for removing stupid stuff from my mistakes. LOL. CAUTION however, do not use it on a "cleared" or "already" painted surface. It will boil that :steamer: off in a New York second. But remove paint from covering and "bleed" out from covering? Yep... 'bout the best I have found. Just my experience.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
What I have found is "if" the paint is relatively fresh, the 91% Alcohol usually does a pretty good job. Especially if it is just overspray. But I had no, "ZERO", "ZIP", "ZILCH" luck when attempting to remove a little paint from one of my aircraft. (Don't remember which one) I tried about everything in the cabinets I had and nothing would take it off. I was very afraid of damaging the clear layer of the covering so I was very reluctant to get too aggressive with compounds. Then I remembered the Behemoth Yak a couple of years ago when I did the "FIRST" recover job on her. Enter stage left,
View attachment 99071
It removed all the residual color from the ironed in covering in the wood, cleaned up most of the "smoke oil" damage in the back of the airframe. I then carefully tried it on some oversprayed paint and wah-laa...it worked great. Also gave it a whirl on the underside of the Ultrakote striping to help the adhesive keep things in place. It is now my "go to" for removing stupid stuff from my mistakes. LOL. CAUTION however, do not use it on a "cleared" or "already" painted surface. It will boil that :steamer: off in a New York second. But remove paint from covering and "bleed" out from covering? Yep... 'bout the best I have found. Just my experience.

I am going to be helping a friend recover a 20cc Pitts which will need the residual covering removed. So now already have 2 uses for it. Lol.

BalsaDust

IMG_1233.JPG

Ok it looks like you have your fair share of profile planes. This one looks like a 30cc size is that correct. Can you show more of it. Thanks.

Well sorry I barely took any pics today was just having fun at the field. Luckily a buddy got a good pic of it.

Specs
81" span
76" long
1380 sq in of wing area
DLE55 on us nose
13.4lbs minus fuel.

This all equals one kick ass ride. I had lots of people asking me about it today at the field. Couldn't convince any one to fly it though.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
View attachment 99088

Well sorry I barely took any pics today was just having fun at the field. Luckily a buddy got a good pic of it.

Specs
81" span
76" long
1380 sq in of wing area
DLE55 on us nose
13.4lbs minus fuel.

This all equals one kick ass ride. I had lots of people asking me about it today at the field. Couldn't convince any one to fly it though.
Gimmie the sticks, I'll fly it. :laughing: