• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I just did the battery in my daughters 5S last weekend. I'm not sure if the 5 is the same but on the 5S they used removable double sided tape which is nice! I did not use removable tape when I put the new one in. Funny thing, the replacement battery had some black tape on it, I removed it and it said Apple underneath... wonder if its an apple reject or something. Works great and only $15 shipped for the battery off Amazon.
Anyone ever try replacing the glass on the 5s?

camss69

70cc twin V2
Anyone ever try replacing the glass on the 5s?

Yes, the hardest part is taking the front facing camera and sensors off the old glass and putting it back on the new glass. (Figuring out how it all goes). Also if the new glass doesn't come with the little plastic camera locator (you'll figure it out once you get in there) make sure you take it off the old glass and put it on the new. The glass and the LCD screen are epoxied together so even though you can get the glass itself for $6 it's not worth the trouble, better to buy the glass/lcd combo for $25. There's a ton of YouTube vids showing how to do it.. Totally "do-able" I've done at least one glass replacement of each iPhone model except the 6..

camss69

70cc twin V2
I haven't done one of those yet, but if I ever have to I'll buy the complete assemble with digitizer. It would be pretty easy then I would think.
like this one here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-LCD-L...209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418593a5d1

Maybe @camss69 can confirm my theory?

Yep, I forgot to mention digitizer, I should have said Glass/LCD/Digitizer combo..

I get parts on Amazon a lot because I have prime and the free two-day shipping, but occasionally get parts off eBay too.

I have to do the glass on an ipad2 next. The iPad's suck they are glued together lots of heat and gentle prying to get it open.. There's a local iPhone parts/repair shop in town I stopped in last night to see how much for the glass and the guy said $60! I think I looked on Amazon and it was around $15 shipped.. Anyway that's my next iRepair..

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Tonight I helped @Decal Dennis stretch the chassis on his Traxxas Stampede. Added 1.25". Also got the dummy engines glued on the Grasshopper cowl.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
When I was doing some setup on my helicopter today I found this, a crack in the Main Rotor Housing.

20150718_215607_resized.jpg

When I checked further I found out it was also bent. Glad I found it now, it would have shaken it apart on spool up.

I also couldn't resist putting the new canopy on to see how the colors looked. I like it!

20150718_155226_resized_1.jpg
20150718_155306_resized_1.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member