• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Vertigo build, any interest in a build?

-Rick-

100cc
This was the hardest build and covering job I have ever done. Usually covering is my favorite part of the build, but not on this plane. Fought with it all the way. It seems like because the 1mm balsa over the foam and sheeting glue is so thin air has nowhere to go. Nothing but air pockets if I did no put it on right. It was, pull it tight, iron on a bit and so on. And it still has the worst coving job I have ever done, not proud of that part! I have been covering plane with monokote for a long long time.

I feel like ordering a nice stick built plane from sig to get back to enjoying building and covering again!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to hear that building should be enjoyable. Getting frustrated with certain elements is normal but not the whole plane. Look at the bright side it will most likely be an incredible plane fly.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Agree with both of you worked with 1/16 it’s ok but not enjoyable 1mm I just cannot imagine. The thinnest I like to go is 2mm but very hard to get that is my preferred thickness. If anyone knows where to get it let me know please.

-Rick-

100cc
I ran out of the 1mm. Whom ever did the fuse wasted to much. I had to do the turtle deck and canopy deck with 1/16. That went much better and easier to cover.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I ran out of the 1mm. Whom ever did the fuse wasted to much. I had to do the turtle deck and canopy deck with 1/16. That went much better and easier to cover.
So what you are saying is someone else started it and you finished it that is always difficult to do. Done that a couple of times never again. I will help someone fix a smashed plane but never complete a plane that someone could not or would not finish. But I must say from the pictures it looks really good.
Just thinking about it he probably got frustrated with the 1mm wood ran out and then sold it to you to finish

Last edited:

-Rick-

100cc
As far as I know I am the third owner of this kit. The first gent bought it and ran into big problems rather fast. All he did was skin the lower half of the fuse. He was not a builder, never had built a plane before. The second owner bought it and never did anything with it, I think he was overwhelmed with the amount of work to it.
I bought it and knew its history, but because of what went on with it I got it for less than half price of a new kit. Yes there were a few screw ups but for the most part it was easy to fix.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You wonder if somebody has never built a plane would start with something like the one you have. That is possibly one of the most difficult to build kits from what I have read about it.