• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

wedoitall

They are a few other mods that are highly recommended and the 65 mg i have on mine are doing just fine on the 60+ flights and i have big big throws and pretty much do stupid stuff

wedoitall

I think hone said there was no damage other than the LG bolts, shows how weak the LG bolts are tho.. lol would highly highly recommend you get the wire gear tho... I had the stock CF gear with the bolts on about the first 10 flights or so on mine, got tired really quick replace'n them.

I took some advice and put CF strips on the trailing edges of the control surfaces and at first I sealed hinges on both sides. Made rollers much smoother, more axial, and just over all seemed more stable. but I took Santi's advice and I took the seal off one side of the hinges and it flew even better.

the stock tail wheel is junk. I just used a dubro wheel and bracket.

so , I would recommend

1. wire gear
2. different tail wheel and assembly
3. CF on trailing edges and sealing the hinges.
4. I also beefed up the inside of the fuse where the wings meet the fuse. ive seen a few crashes with the wattaplane/skywing and this was one weak spot in the plane. when you get yours you will see , you can push in the sides and see that its a lil weak

econpatric

70cc twin V2
4. I also beefed up the inside of the fuse where the wings meet the fuse. ive seen a few crashes with the wattaplane/skywing and this was one weak spot in the plane. when you get yours you will see , you can push in the sides and see that its a lil weak

How did you beef this up? CF rod?

hone

150cc
Haha! Nice. At least it wasn't your EF gasser!

So what kind of repairs were involved? How difficult is it to obtain parts and such?
Like wedoitall said, the landing gear bolts broke. The prop broke too but that was it. I did get a small grass stain on the cowl :p

A balsa plane would need a new cowl, canopy, and would have broken some wood in the rudder.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
i actually used popscicle sticks. it was a whop'n 0.2 grams of added weight and the width i think will work out better than CF .....ill post up a pic or 2 when i get home.

Sounds good I would like to see that mod. Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading about your popsicle stick mod here not to long ago.