• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

econpatric

70cc twin V2
yea congrats, your gonna love it..... what size lipos are you gonna run?

I have 3s 2200's and 4s 1800's so I will experiment a little. I know the Omega 130g on 3s with a 13x6.5 is the ticket (for me) for 3ding the 3DHS 47" SHP, so I will start there and make comparisons between that motor and the Motrolfly. Then I will hook up the watt meter and set up some other prop and bat combos... we'll see where I end up. :megaroll:

Last edited by a moderator:

econpatric

70cc twin V2
For those using the Omega 130g are you having to use motor mount extensions on the slick? I don't have the Slick yet, but I am looking at the Leopard and it seems like its a bit longer than the Omega by about 13.3mm.

I may switch the Omega for the Leopard in the SHP and use the Omega on the Slick if its is too long. What do you guys think?

wedoitall

The Omega 130 gave me the perfect spinner gap with no spacers.

yea it did me too. then i switch to motrolfly and it worked too, just a tad tight but i trim the epp just a fuzz.

also to me 14x7 hucks best on the wattaplane. on both the omega, the motrolfly and my buddys sunnysky

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Got my slick today in the mail. I am really impressed with the solidity of the airframe and the overall quality of the components. I didn't expect that much bang for the amount I spent on the plane. Did decide to go Motrolfly as the Leopard is was too long and about an ounce heavier.

I am building a J-3 Cub from a kit, so I think the Leopard still has a new home once that is finished.

wedoitall

I didn't use spacers, but you probably could used like something smaller than a 1/4. I just had to barely trim the top side of the opening to keep the spinner backplate from rubbing.

wait to you fly her. I have 93 flights on mine.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Airframe is together. What an easy build, just effortless! :banana:

I bought the 2820-950 from Ken and it is a perfect fit. There will be a slightly bigger spinner gap than I prefer, but the extra power will be worth it! I did have to trim (just a bit) the cowling to stop the front of the motor from rubbing. Any recommendations of props for this motor on 3s? For now I need to stay under 50a as I am borrowing an Ice 50 from another plane. I thought I have read that a 13x6.5 should be ok in terms of amperage.

The Goteck servos seem very quality for the money. They are quiet and seem to be fairly accurate. It will be a matter of time to see how they hold up.

Now its just a matter of blenderming the hinges, setting the throws, and getting my CG right.... Then.... :flyer: