• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

wedoitall

while i was at the club i just started today, my wattaplane was alot of the chatter. they couldnt believe how good it flies.

patric, IMO you would be fine running the ice lite 50 on the 14x7..... i was kinda reserved about it myself until i sent my logs over to Steve @ Castle and he said my numbers were more than fine. i have a ton of flights on that setup and check my logs at the end of each flight day. BUT i knew you would love it :D

willfly2

30cc
First impression of this airplane is the way it is constructed. Then the easy visibility of the color scheme [red] no mistaking what the airplane is doing,even at a distance. Apparent 3D monster the way my son set his up. This very well may be my next airplane.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
while i was at the club i just started today, my wattaplane was alot of the chatter. they couldnt believe how good it flies.

patric, IMO you would be fine running the ice lite 50 on the 14x7..... i was kinda reserved about it myself until i sent my logs over to Steve @ Castle and he said my numbers were more than fine. i have a ton of flights on that setup and check my logs at the end of each flight day. BUT i knew you would love it :D

If I understand correctly you are running the Motrolfly 2815. However, the motor I have on here is the 2820 series. I was pulling like 48a on a 13x6.5 on 3s creating 520w. I would assume that moving into that 14x7 would put me over wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

econpatric

70cc twin V2
In the past I have been using straight thin CA for repairs on my epp planes. What do you guys use for repairing EPP? Should I get ahold of some welders?

wedoitall

i ran out of welders awhle back. but shoe goo works perfect also. same thing as welders and can be bought at most hardware stores.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I'm honestly shocked at how much I love this plane.. even more shocked how enjoyable it is on 3s...

Its fun to see that you like this so much. You are typically flying larger airframes right?

My goal has been to use these EPPs to do all the things I am afraid to try with my 7?" birds, so to see your response on this makes me think I made the right choice! :thumbup:

econpatric be careful with the straight CA on repairs for the wings or tail feathers. Both those areas are constructed from Depron sheeted with thin EPP. if the regular CA gets to the depron it will turn it to mush. I use Zap foam safe for almost all repairs except to the motor box. For flexible repairs I use Beacon Foam Tac II, as that is safe for any type of foam and works very similar to Welders....can even make hinges from it just like Welders.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
econpatric be careful with the straight CA on repairs for the wings or tail feathers. Both those areas are constructed from Depron sheeted with thin EPP. if the regular CA gets to the depron it will turn it to mush. I use Zap foam safe for almost all repairs except to the motor box. For flexible repairs I use Beacon Foam Tac II, as that is safe for any type of foam and works very similar to Welders....can even make hinges from it just like Welders.

Great info, thanks! One of the greatest benefits about EPP to me is how quickly you can be back in the air after a crash especially with CA and accelerator! What kind of time frame are we talking with the Beacon or Welders? I have no experience with those.

Also, what about the 'Foam-Cure' on 3DHS's website. Anyone used that?