• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

wedoitall

i think im gonna be place'n an order this week at bestvalue, maybe. if so ill send you my extra and just get me another.

Diggity

70cc twin V2
I did a cartwheel getting to low on a slow roller. I tried to piece it back together but the thrust angle is a little off and doesn't fly the same. All it needs is a new motorbox. I would love to get one asap. But I'm willing to wait and order one. But if you willing to part with yours, just let me know. Thanks.

wedoitall

Ill know something by tomorrow. i rebuilt the existing motor box in mine. but i was able to repair with no thrust problems.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I just got my wire gear from bestvaluerc.com. I am really happy with it. Looking forward to some more flying now that I can land it without an automatic crash.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Just wondered why you guys are changing to wire l/g?
Been flying my Edge with the carbon gear and all seems fine. The black nylon screws bust on landing first flight (the black pigment weakens the nylon) but I had some 'proper' 4mm white nylon screws laying around and I've put over 20 flights on it since without any more problems at all.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Just wondered why you guys are changing to wire l/g?
Been flying my Edge with the carbon gear and all seems fine. The black nylon screws bust on landing first flight (the black pigment weakens the nylon) but I had some 'proper' 4mm white nylon screws laying around and I've put over 20 flights on it since without any more problems at all.

I dont know what the deal is. I had white nylon thumb screws in mine, landed a little less than perfect and it ripped the gear right off. I then replaced the screws with stainless steel hex bolts thinking "my 3DHS plane works fine why wouldn't this one," next landing ripped the blind nut right out of the wood lg bracing. I guess thats why I made the switch.

Maybe there is a difference in design between the edge and the slick?

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Maybe I've just been lucky on my landings? First flight was very tail heavy so my landing was less than perfect, which was the one that bust the l/g bolts. After moving the CG forward the rest of my landings have been reasonably good, so maybe it will break when (inevitably) I dumb thumb a landing, but so far no more problems.

I did buy some aluminium bolts as I'd heard that the nylon ones broke easy but I've not needed to use them yet.

wedoitall

Honer broke LG bolts on the wattaplane when he had a failure and the plane landed dead perfect inverted. LG didnt touch a thing LOL.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Guess I'm lucky then.. other than the maiden I've had no problem and I fly from fields that are pretty rough.

The other thing that causes the bolts to break easily is over-tightening. It's easy to tighten then so that they are almost at the point of breaking just sitting there, it then just takes a slight nudge to bust them. I just tightened then so they were snugged down and no more.