• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% PA-28 Cherokee Build

OK, a couple of questions. How big do the Falcon spinners go? I went to their web site and couldn't get any info on spinner sizes. Have they dropped the line or what? Anyone know?

My particular Cherokee build calls for a 4.2 inch diam spinner. I have a custom made aluminum one but the lack of weight with carbon would be preferable.

Second, how much does the Roto weigh?

TonyHallo

150cc
First -3" to 6" https://www.falconpropellers.com/product/falcon-gas-2-blade-carbon-spinner/
Second -The Roto weights 7.6 pounds.

I have 2 D&B 3.7 cubic inch engines that came from an estate sale, I don't believe either was ever ran. I put one in the original Cherokee and had the throttle limited to 60%, it easily flew the plane at 1/3 throttle with a 20 x 10 three blade prop. I decided to use the well run engine for this build. Since the engine was in a mishap the prop runout was checked and found to be .009". Removed the hub and checked the crank it was less than .001", the hub was mounted and checked 3 times with the same result. The runout was mapped on the hub, the hub was set up in the lathe to the runout readings and skin cut. The resulting runout was less than .002". The prop mounting on the D&B is a singe 5/16" diameter bolt with two drive pins, of course todays props are all 10 mm, while it was off decided to convert to 10mm 6 bolt style. Used the same bolt circle and 4mm bolts as the Roto since the spinner was already drilled for it. The engine has a WJ 38 Walbro carburetor that has an accelerator pump, decided to rebuild the carb since it had some soil on it rom the encounter with earth, I think I found the last accelerator kit on earth for it, should be here on Monday. The engine was converted to 1/4-32 spark plugs due the clearance issues, I think I will put the CM10 plugs back it.
Tomorrow I need to figure out how to stand the fuselage on it's tail to center up the engine in the cowl.

IMG_2224.jpg

Thanks Tony. I sent a message to Falcon Props. We'll see what they say.

I was curious how much weight you removed with the engine change. Pretty significant. That Roto is heavy but I suspect it would pull the weight around with ease. I'm planning to use an OS 320 Pegasus in mine (53cc). With a scale like tubular engine mount. Preferably aluminum tube if I can find someone to weld it. Otherwise I'll have to go with steel tube.

TonyHallo

150cc
It wasn't so much the weight of the but tail weight would have been needed in addition to relocating the throttle, choke and nosewheel servos. It was going to get heavy. Falcon offers a 4" and 4 1/2" spinner, I would think 4" would work just fine.

It wasn't so much the weight of the but tail weight would have been needed in addition to relocating the throttle, choke and nosewheel servos. It was going to get heavy. Falcon offers a 4" and 4 1/2" spinner, I would think 4" would work just fine.

Probably will. Though I will say the aluminum spinner is cut to the same profile as the real one is. I'm curious to see how close the Falcon spinner is.

Yeah! Tall ceilings are a must. I have an RC sailboat waiting final rigging because only a couple of rooms in the house will accommodate the mast on the hull. Even with the hull sitting in a stand on the floor.

Yep! Big Boat! Tall mast!