• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
Started gluing up the blocks to make the back half of the fuselage. One 4' x8' x 2" sheet will do it. Using a glue called Foam Fusion from the Hot Wire Foam Factory. I would normally use Gorilla Glue but decided to give this a try. Check out the link.
Have the big end template cut and ready to go, need to cut the small end yet. Have time since I'm gluing 3 -4 pieces at time on the stack to maintain full contact. Put the next three on this morning. Might get a few more on later today. There 19 pieces total.

IMG_2872.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Cut the top half of the back half. Let's just say the Foam Fusion didn't work out as hoped. The large surface area prevented the glue from dying in the middle. I ended up putting 1/4" balsa splines around the foam to hold everything in place. Once the top half was cut away I added a spline to the top. The Hot Wire Factory states that foam fusion cures rather than drying but I'm calling BS. If I had it to do over I would use a light coat of Gorilla glue. Once the top spline cures I will attempt to form the 1/8" balsa skin, it is edged glued and ready to go. All in all I'm happy so far.

IMG_2876.jpg
IMG_2877.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
The top half is in the vacuum bag, pulling 10" hg. Bending the radius at the rear was little challenging since it is 1/8" and not the lightest balsa. Since this will never seen the air I used balsa that was a little on the heavy side. I rolled a heavy coat of Gorilla Glue on the foam core, I don't think it will come off! Cutting the bottom half core is little challenging since it ends with a sharp corner on the big end.

IMG_2878.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Cut the bottom half this morning. The cut was a three step process, the two sides were cut to the center line at the rear while each side was cut down to break point where there is a 90 degree bend, then the bottom was cut across. The shuck was glued back to together to assist in
pre-bending the 1/8" skin. The core is far from prefect and will require some filling but all in all I'm happy I'm not starting over. Once the spine dries on the top the skin will be pre-bent then I can do the filler work with light weight 3M filler.
IMG_2883.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Got the bottom sheeting pre-bent and put the first coat of 3M High Strength Large Hole Filler on the core. In the area where the 90 bend transitions to the radius I plan the inset a balsa block and sand the contour. I think it may take two more applications of filler to get everything filled in. It goes on and sands easy so no big deal. Was a little more selective with the balsa sheets this time.

IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2887.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Nice wire setup.
All my hot wire equipment is hodgepodge of home made equipment. Cutting these challenging shapes is a best effort affair, doesn't always work as hoped!. Airfoils are easier for sure. Can't wait to set up and build the wing. I think it will be be fully sheeted with 3/32" this time around.
Working with glued up blocks adds problems as well, the glue just doesn't cut the same as the foam. Years ago there was a foam manufacturer not far from my home and I could order 1# virgin blocks of EPS any size up to 4'x4'x8'. Can't find them any more. Oddly enough I found them in a big green book called the Thomas Register, don't think they around either!