• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have seen a few wings made out of foam ribs. There has been some classic pattern planes made that way.

TonyHallo

150cc
Traveled to Michigan over the weekend to visit the Christmas town Frankenmuth, very festive, no snow yet!
Vacuumed the bottom half skin on yesterday and jointed the halves this morning. For the bottom corner where the is a 90 degree bend rather than attempting to bend the wood I left it a little short and glued a piece of 3/4" tri stock and sanded to shape, it worked out well. Next the front half and back half will get married.

IMG_2904.jpg
IMG_2905.jpg
IMG_2906.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Started studying the shape of tail cone, it is quite a bit different than the previous Cherokee. Once the halves are joined a tail cone plug will be formed. Will need to install the vertical fin and rudder to finalize the feature on the tail cone.

s-l140 (2).jpg
s-l140 (1).jpg
s-l140.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Glued up a balsa block and rough sawed to shape, it is tack glued into position. Noticed a wallowed area on the top of the fuselage while sitting down the shape. This was caused by the wire bowing while coming over the top of the templates and turning down. Next time I cut a turtle deck, I will cut vertically down at the centerline and cut each side separately. Took a couple of coats of filler to get it filled in. No big deal because it is getting covered with epoxy and glass.
I've had the Sig wing joiner for over twenty years, plan to install the phenolic tube into the firewall and rear former of the fuselage to act as a rotisserie for sanding, glassing and painting.

IMG_2908.jpg
IMG_2909.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Had the Super Cub at the November meeting of the Indiana Flyers Club tonight, what a pain to assemble! Someone has to hold the wing while the root screws are put in the and the lift struts are guided in position. My system on the Champ works much better and I can assemble the plane by myself. Any rate back to the work at hand.
The tail cone tack glue has cured so the block got roughed in with 80 grit. The tail cone is a little shorter than the actual full scale to accommodate the stabalator wing tube hinge system. Can't go any further until the rudder is cut and installed so that will be the next move. I'm planning to have the vertical fin as part of the layup. Thinking about adding the corrugations to vertical fin well.

IMG_2910.jpg
IMG_2911.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Married the front and back this morning. Since there's not a flat and level spot in my house had to make a jacking plate to get the bottom level and plumb. Have a like filling and sanding to do to blend the joint. Glued up the foam for the rudder and make templates in Compufoil. Will print these today.

IMG_2912.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Can’t believe the time and effort you put into building a scale plane. Wish I had the patience and also the tools. Enjoy watching you build a plane.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Nice work on the leveling plate. Must be an uneven floor as you almost ran out of threads on the front right corner.