• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

WRAM 2013: 3DRCF Event Coverage and Member Experiences!

Diggity

70cc twin V2
Well. very disappointed with the Wram show this year. Wasn't even able to get all the supplies I was looking for, let alone a new plane. A number of distributors I was looking for from the list of exhibitors didn't show, and the ones who were there had almost nothing with them. ( And I was there on Friday...first day) On top of that, the distributors that were there didn't seem interested in helping anyone that showed up at their booths. 3DHS had a very limited number of planes with them and seemed way too busy bs'ing to be bothered with people trying to get info from them. ( my buddy was interested in purchasing an omega 130, but it was over priced compared to the website (( $60.00 at the show ????)) and no one was willing to answer a question )

Sorry to hear that. The Omega is $65 on the website and probably another $10 for shipping. $75 total. $15 off at a show isn't to bad, but could of been better I think.

You know it wasn't really the price that was so bad....just the attitude of all the sellers there. like they just couldn't be bothered, or "take it or leave it" . Honestly , I feel like I must have gone to a completely different show than the rest of you guys because I didn't really see anything at all that was worth my $35.00 worth of gas and $12.00 admission. I drove 130 miles to by glue and get a couple of 3 month old magazines.

joshgluck

100cc
You know it wasn't really the price that was so bad....just the attitude of all the sellers there. like they just couldn't be bothered, or "take it or leave it" . Honestly , I feel like I must have gone to a completely different show than the rest of you guys because I didn't really see anything at all that was worth my $35.00 worth of gas and $12.00 admission. I drove 130 miles to by glue and get a couple of 3 month old magazines.

Wow rcguy! Were you there on Friday around 10am when I was trying to get a bundle deal on the slick and edge? We must have been at a totally different show... Well maybe not. Maybe just a totally different 3dhs booth. I was there on Friday, met Joe and talked to both him and his dad Jim. Met Noll, bought a 42" AJ Slick, 58" Edge, Omega 103g, Omega 130g and some glue. Joe even autographed the rudders on both air frames and talked for a little bit.

I was treated better at 3dhs then at any other vendor. In fact, I got into an argument with the MPI/Maxx Products ladies for trying to bargain. It was actually so unbelievable that I went over to the HiTec guys and told them I had just returned some of their servos to MPI because they treated me so badly. Here is what happened: I walked up and recognized the woman from MPI that I had haggled with at AtomsRC on some pricing and she always says "I give you good price". I take this to mean haggle away so I did. I was trying to buy 4 x HS-65MG, 4x HS-65HB, 2 x Castle ICE 50 LITE and 1 x Castle ICE 75 LITE. I was only able to buy the HS-65MGs before the argument started. I paid $90 for the 65MGs and went on to try and bundle the rest. I wanted the ESCs for $200, she was at 210 and the 65HBs for another $50. They were at $286 and now I was talking to one woman about the servos and another about the escs. The ESC woman would not budge and told me that if she spent another minute she wouldnt sell me the ESCs even at $210. So I talked to the woman I had dealt with before and she agrees to knock some money off but now I can't buy the ESCs because the other woman went soup-nazi on me. All of this in front of a table full of customers. A few people thought it was a joke and I was shocked. Too later for a long story short, but I returned the 65MGs and walked over to EMS, they beat the prices on both MGs and HBs and I got very close to the $200 on the ESCs from PEAK electronics. Based on this, I will never buy from MPI again. Your mileage may vary though... Maybe its me..

Also ordered some truturn spinners and was treated like a king there as well. Good people and great show price!

Guess my buddy and I weren't trying to spend enough money to get good treatment. Like I said before, neither of us was looking for anything large. I was treated well at the Beacon adhesives booth, and at True turn also. Similar experience at the MPI booth as you. Oh well, was just venting about a bad experience, I'm over it now. Glad everyone else had a good time.

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
The wram show was a great time. 3DHS had a super show, sold tons of planes. Couldn't count all the questions that were answered to fellow addicts. Had a great time seeing and talking to everyone who said hi. We drove 11 hours to get there. Can't imagine anyone not having a great experience at the 3DHS booth. I know Noll and all the team pilots and booth volunteers who spent their own time there helping the addicts had a good time. Joe was sure tired when he got home. Heard him answer so many questions it gave me a headache. Learned alot about new servos, radios, engines, air-frames being released this year. Lots of Valuable knowledge was gained at the show. Enjoyed talking to the vendors about their new offerings. Bought some things we needed, lots available for sale there. Weather was okay, nice place for a show.
If you hear anyone complaining about the show, just ignore them.
I do remember 1 guy walked up to the booth and said 3D flying sucked. We all just smiled. Maybe I know now who it was.
All so remember a guy asking me why 3DHS doesn't answer questions. I asked him what question he had. He couldn't remember. Owell.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor

Sucks that you didn't enjoy yourself after that long of drive. Reminds me of the AMA show I went to in 2012. I drove 3 hours each way from Vegas to Ontario and back, and left feeling underwhelmed. But, it as an AMA EXPO, not a 3D EXPO, so I consider myself lucky I got to hang with Rob and the ADC guys at thier booth and learn some more about 3D.

The wram show was a great time. 3DHS had a super show, sold tons of planes. Couldn't count all the questions that were answered to fellow addicts. Had a great time seeing and talking to everyone who said hi. We drove 11 hours to get there. Can't imagine anyone not having a great experience at the 3DHS booth. I know Noll and all the team pilots and booth volunteers who spent their own time there helping the addicts had a good time. Joe was sure tired when he got home. Heard him answer so many questions it gave me a headache. Learned alot about new servos, radios, engines, air-frames being released this year. Lots of Valuable knowledge was gained at the show. Enjoyed talking to the vendors about their new offerings. Bought some things we needed, lots available for sale there. Weather was okay, nice place for a show.
If you hear anyone complaining about the show, just ignore them.
I do remember 1 guy walked up to the booth and said 3D flying sucked. We all just smiled. Maybe I know now who it was.
All so remember a guy asking me why 3DHS doesn't answer questions. I asked him what question he had. He couldn't remember. Owell.

I've heard this from a few poeple, that they saw tons of new products, tons of people working their butts off answering questions at the booth.
I think it's really awesome that you and Joe drove so long and so far to volunteer and support our awesome hobby.
I suspose when you're into large balsa models, and giant scale airplanes, it's kind of hard to fly demos of them indoors... so inevitably some will feel let down. Maybe unrealistic expectations?

Last edited by a moderator:

coreman

50cc
I felt it was a good show

I was down there in the National Balsa booth (I can be seen in one of the pictures above) and I must say the show seems to be coming back to life after many years of decline in White Plains. It was great to meet Jim and Joe and Moose and Noll and get my shiny new Vyper Bype. When I picked it up Noll was short on some servos and not only did he get them at the show, he brought them over to me in the booth I was working. And it was great that we had a chance to talk a few times. Good to see Cody and his dad and the McCormicks. Just wish I had gotten over to the cage to see more of the flying this year. More than just the moments while walking to/from the bathroom.

The flavor of the show has changed greatly from the heyday of the mid-1990s but it is coming back to life. The vendor mix is different and the internet and mailorder business has really wiped out the big savings that we used to see. But that's not a matter of the SHOW being worse, it's a matter that the industry itself isn't a one weekend sale, good value can be found every day. Margins are tighter so it's tough to see huge savings. Flip it inverted and think about it... If the companies in the 1990s could offer great show specials, what was their everyday profit margins? I'm just glad there's a great selection available over all. The WRAM show isn't the only place to see stuff you otherwise only read about in the magazines. You can go to lots of events now and have a vendor row where you can get up close and personal with the latest stuff, and they have a box in the booth you can take home right there (like I did)

njswede

150cc
Yeah, I spoke to one of they guys at Luke's Hobby (I believe it was) and they told me they didn't even bother to sell Spektrum DX8 radios this year, since there's one lady at the show selling them for $10 over cost. That came out to $369 instead of the usual $429, which gives you some idea how tight the margins are. Needless to say, I snapped one up... :)

njswede

150cc
However, what really sucks and what's unforgivable is that I didn't come over to say hi to you, coreman... :( I see you're in one of the pictures I snapped...

coreman

50cc
Yeah, I spoke to one of they guys at Luke's Hobby (I believe it was) and they told me they didn't even bother to sell Spektrum DX8 radios this year, since there's one lady at the show selling them for $10 over cost. That came out to $369 instead of the usual $429, which gives you some idea how tight the margins are. Needless to say, I snapped one up... :)

You've got to sell a lot of $10 margin stuff to pay for the show. Like the old joke says, I'm losing a buck on each item but I'm making up for it in volume!

Sorry I didn't get to meet you Swede, Moose said you were around but I was chained to our booth most of the time. One of the great things of doing the shows is the feedback you get from the people you've met/dealt with at other times (from either side of the aisle)