• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

WrongWayRc 50-60cc GBR (GeeBeeRacer) Build thead

The vertical stab and the leading edge of the rudder both get tristock that gives them added strength. We have flown them with the single upright and if medium density or better balsa is selected (no contest balsa here) they hold up fine until you dork it. On mine, later today I will drill the holes for the robarts and back them up with another piece of balsa, mostly because my balsa in this area is not very dense...

On hitting the rudder on the ground....you beef up these areas and they will take more of a hit, but then it becomes a trade off of how much more weight added... and the benefits are good to a point, once you pass this point something has got to give and then it can becomes the structure...

On the 60cc taper wing proto I had an issue where the control horn linkage started to back out and while pulling an up line with full power the rudder fluttered....I was amazed that it did not explode from the way it looked.. The GP61 had the airframe going vertical at about 30mph... first reaction was to idle the engine (which I did) but how do you slow an airframe down when you are going 30mph vertical....guess I could have done a vertical wall...but not knowing why I had the flutter I just let it slow down in the vertical and nose it over for a slow harrier to land.

Anyway... when I got it back in the pits we found the reason for the flutter. The damge was a cracked rudder counterbalance and we sheared 3 out of 4 of the rudder hinges..

So everything is a trade off in planes... make them too strong in one area and they give in another.. I am glad that day that I only had to replace 5 hinges and get back to flying that day and the real beauty about building this plane is you can repair a broken rudder if you do an inverted drag or broken fuse/wing just about anything is repairable and re-cover able and easy because you built it in the first place....

Will try to update tonight.. I have finished the rudder with hinging and double truss phenolic horn placement...

One wing is ready for sheeting... lots of pictures I just need time to type out the explanations..

Once the wing is completed the elevator and ailerons will go quickly and then we will move on to covering...

Attachments

• P1010531.JPG
    P1010531.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 248