• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

10cc 3D gasser --- An exercise with a VH Sabre-X 51" and a Evolution 10GX

gyro

GSN Contributor
Joe did it with a DLE-20 on a 64" MXS. The plane is still flying. No much of a video. I have a new rig to take much better footage. I also just did a GT22 conversion on a H9 Katana that is stupid overpowered. It is 7.5 lbs though and I can see the 3D abilities will be limited to the high wing loading. I will wait to see the specs on 15GX before I mull over this project or Joe decides to do it.

[video=youtube;1lLWHdXOJqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lLWHdXOJqA[/video]

I think I saw this video a while back, and it made me hope for even more. How well does it huck with the 20cc? I'd think the 15cc would be the better weight engine for that plane... but what about power?

-G

I have not seen it recently as Joe sold it to another local and Gary saw it last week. It was not as porky as my katana. The engine had a lot of issues as this DLE-20 was a dud. It should have plenty of power and speed favors the MXS.

15cc is more appopriate for this size and weight. Since H9 rapidly discontinued the Katana 50, I am guessing that a revised version will be the launch for the engine, but that is just pure speculation on my part. The only thing I hate about this size is servos. In order to get a decent mini servo (HS-7245, JR HV servo), you are paying more than good standard servos so you might as well just get a 30cc, which is why I have so many of that size. These little solars are pretty cheap, so I hope they are decent in the Sabre. I also bought a set of their HV standard servos for a trial to break in my GT33 that is slotted for bigfoot, the mythical airplane. Airframe selection is still ongoing, but that silly cheap slipstream MX2 aztech is selling is looking pretty good for a budget build.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have not seen it recently as Joe sold it to another local and Gary saw it last week. It was not as porky as my katana. The engine had a lot of issues as this DLE-20 was a dud. It should have plenty of power and speed favors the MXS.

15cc is more appopriate for this size and weight. Since H9 rapidly discontinued the Katana 50, I am guessing that a revised version will be the launch for the engine, but that is just pure speculation on my part. The only thing I hate about this size is servos. In order to get a decent mini servo (HS-7245, JR HV servo), you are paying more than good standard servos so you might as well just get a 30cc, which is why I have so many of that size. These little solars are pretty cheap, so I hope they are decent in the Sabre. I also bought a set of their HV standard servos for a trial to break in my GT33 that is slotted for bigfoot, the mythical airplane. Airframe selection is still ongoing, but that silly cheap slipstream MX2 aztech is selling is looking pretty good for a budget build.

Did you ever get that Raven from them figured out?

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Probably because we were talking about so many other projects. When Horizon ran out of these, Gary picked up the last one at RCB for me. Joe and I have been talking about doing this since the engine was announced.

Looks like the 15GX will be announced on by the end of the week and I think that is a good candidate to convert a EF 60" plane.

I uploaded the video I did on Sunday of my first runs of the engine and added it to build video post.

I am waiting on a LiFE battery that will fit into the tail to balance her for a maiden. Weather is not very cooperative this week.

I have a couple of Hyperion 2100 packs. They are pretty small. Let me know and I'll bring one to indoor on Friday if you are going.

USPS claims the package from HP is out for delivery today so I should have a suitable battery today. I have some 1300 lipos that will fit, but then I would have to run a BEC. Too bad the weather is windy. Friday looks maybe doable if I keep myself from going to Toledo for the day. I go every year, but this year I just don't see enough stuff I just have to go check out to justify the trip, especially after going to WRAM.

The 30cc EG raven I had is resurrected by another local whom bought it from me SUPER cheap. It still needs 5oz of lead to balance with a GT33 on the front. Azhar tells me all the EG planes are going through redesign and will come back in a bigger size to fit the 33-35cc motors out there now. The whole point of this airframe is to break in the motor (I want bigfoot to be ready to go, not flying around in silly circles and cuban 8s) and a chance to try out budget servos. For some reason I want to try out a round cowl airplane, but in this size pilot-rc seems to be about the only quality player. I like the looks of the great planes yak54, but it is a old design basically for 50cc. Some like the Aeroworks .90-1.20 yak.

Added last build photos. I am going to try to add the weight stuff tomorrow. Final weight dry is just over 5lbs. I hope to maiden it in the next week, but the weather gods are not smiling on New England at the moment. We somewhat missed mud season, but now we have wind season.

I got a 1100 and 1900 LiFE and it took the 1900 to get a neutral CofG. It just barely fits so if I need it more aft I will have to resort to lead or put in heavier servos.

DSC_0335.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Looks like you were right about them announcing the 15cc engine this week http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/15gx-15cc-91-cu-in-gas-engine-EVOE15GX

I'd love to have a 60'' gasser!

The Sabre is coming together nicely, can't wait to hear the flight report.

They say that engine will spin a 14x6 at 10,400. if it's accurate, that's about on par with a really fast electric setup in the same size....like an A50-14XS on 6S with a 14x7. I have flown my 60" Extra with a 750KV motor on 5S with a 14x7 and while it wasn't very efficient it flew OK and made cool noises.

They also say the total weight for the motor with muffler and ignition is 883 grams. Add another 200 grams for servo, linkage, fuel tank, and other stuff and let's call it 1100 grams. An electric setup in this size has a total weight of about 900-1000 grams. So it could definitely work.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Looks like you were right about them announcing the 15cc engine this week http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/15gx-15cc-91-cu-in-gas-engine-EVOE15GX

I'd love to have a 60'' gasser!

The Sabre is coming together nicely, can't wait to hear the flight report.

Engine discussion threads started:

10GX http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1369-Evolution-Engines-10GX-Gasoline-Engine

15GX http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1368-Evolution-Engines-15GX-Gasoline-Engine