• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

10cc 3D gasser --- An exercise with a VH Sabre-X 51" and a Evolution 10GX

I did the weight comparison and I estimated 3.85 lbs plus a little extra for wiring. Someone just posted on RCG a little over 4 on a electric setup. It is 1lb over weight basically. I have a ton of weight notes and reserved a section for this discussion, but I keep leaving that paper in a place I forget about it and now I am on the road. It will not be super floaty like the electric version, but I am sure I can hover it and do a lot of the basic 3D moves. It could have 1.4:1 thrust to weight. My Velox only has about 1.5:1, but that plane is light for it's size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I'm surprised the e power Sabre X is that heavy (4lb). I've got the AJ Slick which is a more robustly built airframe and with a slightly heavier than standard set up it's less than 4lb. of course it's always possible to build an e power set up heavy if you want, you only have to stick in a huge battery.

I will try to get a picture of the Sabre next to my 51 slick. This fuse is very tall and I believe slightly longer. The wings are definetly bigger. The 3.85 I got from the weights of their recommended setup after I weighted the airframe components and add in their motor, ESC, and recommended battery.

Tailwheel fixed with Sullivan. I considered using a spare 30cc 3DHS one, but this was 8 grams lighter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365382324.906095.jpg

Exhaust extension to get the exhaust out of the cowl. These are car ones from Dynamite.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365382365.922284.jpg

I added the weight notes to post #2. I show how I came to the conclusion that the gasser setup adds a pound versus the electric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a couple of flights today. The muffler bolts came out (very common problem). I thought I had done a decent job by putting threadlock and copper RTV, but it seems not enough. Gary is going to help me modify some nordlocks so that I can get a better lock. I guess this is a opportunity to weigh the muffler finally.

I was just getting ready to put on a 13" prop, darn.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Did a couple of flights today. The muffler bolts came out (very common problem). I thought I had done a decent job by putting threadlock and copper RTV, but it seems not enough. Gary is going to help me modify some nordlocks so that I can get a better lock. I guess this is a opportunity to weigh the muffler finally.

I was just getting ready to put on a 13" prop, darn.

I heard from our interview with Horizon in Toledo that this engine will run well and is happy with a wide range props.
A 13" would definitely get you closer to a 3D type of setup!

With a drill press and a dremmel I managed to get some nordlocks small enough to fit and I RTV'd over them so I got the muffler back together. The battery also came out in flight so I used foam from a Hacker motor packaging (that is some good stuff) and now it is firmly in place. I cut a opening a little undersized and welder's glued it in. Both these ideas came from others, as has a lot of this project, and I thank everyone in my community for helping me out. I have a 13x7 Xoar wood on it (they make gasser props too) and I will tune it up tomorrow before flying. Light winds so I hope to get some attempts at 3D in. Harrier and Hover are probably the maneuvers people are interested in.

Got a few flights today with 13" props. I kept having issues with the elevator servo mount which eventually led to servo coming out, but landed without incident, just 86 units of trim as it was a wierd angle!

Some of my impressions I realize are probably clouded by this as I was having a hard time keeping it in a hover, despite the good balance. I will engineer a fix to the elevator servo. The vibrations for the airframe are seeming to manifest in this spot. The servos themselves take the abuse which is saying something.

Anyways the Xoar 13x7 wood was a bust as it was only getting low 9000s on the RPM. The APC 13x6 clocked 10300 on the ground and will be the reference prop I think. It had as much pull out or slighly more than my 22cc 70" Velox so the power is there. It did not seem to harrier well as I had to carry speed, but this could be a factor of the elevator issue. If it does harrier, it will be at a decent power level as that pound of extra weight has impacted the floaty feel. I was able to do a lot of tumble maneuvers as well as a pretty agressive knife edge spin.

I have some more props to try including a Xoar 14x4 wood which I hope does the trick. Even on the 13x6 it has more speed than I need.

I know I keep having teething problems, but I expected that.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Sounds like you are getting it dialed in bit by bit. I bet its going to love that 14x4. Less load than a 13x6 I bet.

hone

150cc
Suck about the elevator servo coming out. At least you got it down safely. Looking forward to hearing more on this.