• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHobbyShop 51" AJ Slick

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I started to put my new Slick together today, time was limited so only a little progress.

First step was to re drill the motor mount for the larger cross mount of my motor. I figured the neatest way was to remove the ply doubler rings and captive nuts and reposition on the new holes. If i ever change to a motor with the standard cross mount size I'll just have to move them back. The motor box and especially the mounting plate struck me as quite lightweight compared to those on some of my other (slightly smaller) models. With this being a little bit heavier motor (190g without mount or driver) than intended it worries me a little.. Anyone managed to break one other than in crashes? if so I might do some subtle beefing up.

Attachments

• DSCN1302.jpg
    DSCN1302.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN1303.jpg
    DSCN1303.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 328

3dplank

70cc twin V2
I think you should be ok. You could take the motor off a soak some thin ca on it to give it a little more strength. I usually hit the motor box with thin ca anyway. Looks good what motor is that?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
It's a Headsup RC Firepower 46 sport (720kv)

I've already CA'ed all the joints on the box, though they all looked to be well glued anyway.

I have only seen one motorbox ever broken in flight and that was Losifanatic flying it. With that in mind I'd say it is an outlier. I think 3dplank was referring to actually soaking all of the wood on the firewall and surrounding supports with CA. Not just the joints. If you soak a bunch of thin CA into the wood it will make it a lot stronger.

I wouldn't worry about the extra weight too much since my 51 was tough to balance with the hacker motor with 4s 2200 packs. It migh be really nice to have an extra oz out there on the nose.

gyro

GSN Contributor
this is the same motor I have on my 51, (which is why I recommended it to Steve). I did the same exact install (great minds must think alike) and I'm not at all worried about the weight. I don't think it's but a few 10th of an oz heavier than "recommended" and this plane can handle it. I really like where my battery balances in this plane with this motor.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Gyro,

Yes, thanks for the recommendation and forward shipping. It's a nice motor and excellent value, I plan on using a 15x7 Xoar with it. With the short stator design and 8mm shaft it should be totally nuke proof. So did you use any spacers when you installed it? I think it's a bit shorter than the recommended Hacker but i've tried the cowl on and it doesnt have excessive overlap. If dont use spacers I will have to open up the centre hole in the ply mount plate a bit as the retaining coller for the 8mm shaft is huge in diameter.

harddrive8

New to GSN!
My 51 has been neglected lately as I've been working my 71 back into my active portfolio. I also burned up a ZTW 85A ESC that I just haven't had the extra cash to replace yet. :(

I'm hoping that with my next pay check I'll have enough left over to be able to pickup a new ESC. I think I'm going to go with the ZTW 110A though to avoid any heating issues.

Yeah no worries with the motor box. It's strong. Mine took 500+ flights of extreame abuse before I could get it to break in flight.