• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHobbyShop 51" AJ Slick

Eagle34

50cc
I know that one.... I was opening up the holes in the sides of my new Velox when my hot knife slipped....ticked me off to no end!!!

SteveT

Even worse is when you are cutting out the wing tube holes and don't pay attention (there is another round hole below) and cut the wrong hole. Patched it with the piece I cut for my arming switch. It is just below the wing and partially hidden so if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't know.

Gary if you think of the stick movements of a snap they are the same when trying to make a tight turn in KE, just have to be gentle and prepared incase you do get the snap. I never thought about it until I read something Ben posted, then it hit me. I was having the same thing happen in a tight KE turn. Makes perfect sense to me now, kinda feel like Homer .... DOH!!!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Even worse is when you are cutting out the wing tube holes and don't pay attention (there is another round hole below) and cut the wrong hole. Patched it with the piece I cut for my arming switch. It is just below the wing and partially hidden so if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't know.

Gary if you think of the stick movements of a snap they are the same when trying to make a tight turn in KE, just have to be gentle and prepared incase you do get the snap. I never thought about it until I read something Ben posted, then it hit me. I was having the same thing happen in a tight KE turn. Makes perfect sense to me now, kinda feel like Homer .... DOH!!!

I remember reading that post as well, and tried to apply it... but it didn't work out perfectly. IMO, the 51 snaps out a little easier than some of my other birds, so I just need to remember to fly them all individually.

SnowDog

I remember reading that post as well, and tried to apply it... but it didn't work out perfectly. IMO, the 51 snaps out a little easier than some of my other birds, so I just need to remember to fly them all individually.

I can say from experience that the 65" Vyper does NOT snap out from tight turns in KE...stable as a rock! :)

The 65 vyper has a very effective rudder too.

Well i posted in the slickness thread that l tore up my 51 this morning by dumb thumbing it. I am gettimg ready to start the rebuilding proccess. Wish me luck. I already know l am down 2 5085mg servos :(

SnowDog

The 65 vyper has a very effective rudder too.

Well i posted in the slickness thread that l tore up my 51 this morning by dumb thumbing it. I am gettimg ready to start the rebuilding proccess. Wish me luck. I already know l am down 2 5085mg servos :(

Yeah, I read about that over there...again, sorry to hear it. I have a left and right original scheme 51" wing if that will help.

Turnerm

50cc

I totally agree about the 51" Slick being more prone to snapping out of KE if you're not careful. It's probably it's ONLY weak point in my opinion. It's not a huge deal though... Just have to be aware that it can happen.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I've been picking away at putting together my slick in-between other non-Rc commitments. Here's the spec

Motor : Headsup Firepower 46 sport (720kv)
Prop: Xoar 15x7
ESC: ZTW 85A
BEC: Castle 10A (6v)
Battery: Gens Ace 4s 2200mAh 30c
Servos: Solar D658 x 4

Putting it together took a little longer due to having to do a little work to fit the motor. First i had to re-drill the plate for the bigger cross mount. Then when i had it all done one of the captive nuts stripped it's threads, so I replaced all four with slightly larger nuts, which meant new ply reinforcing rings. No big deal but took up some time.
The motor also had a slight issue; there was a large set-screw collar supplied for use when using the cross mount, trouble is that the hole in the cross mount wasn't big enough to clear the collar and there wasn't enough 'meat' to open the hole up. I had to do a little work to sort that out. This little hiccup aside the Firepower seems a very nice motor.
The solar servos are also slightly larger than HS-85's so the holes had to be opened up a bit, there was just enough ply in the wing servo mounts, but they fit ok. A small hiccup with the servos too that could have proved nasty; the arm retaining screws are too long so bottom out in the holes before they tighten down on the arm. potentially this could see the arm coming loose with disastrous results. Fortunately I spotted it and cut a couple on mm off the end of the screw which sorted the problem out, something to watch for if anyone else uses these servos. other than that these appear to be excellent servos, going by the spec they are both torquier and faster than the 85MG.

Other than these little distractions she went together very nicely. This is the first 3DHS model I've owned and I'm duly impressed. I had it ready to go on Sunday but the weather wasn't playing the game so I took the Slick to work with me today and popped out during my lunch break to give it it's maiden. All went smoothly, I didn't have time to get anything more than a couple of short shakedown flights in but it went really nicely. I hear people say that the Slick flies like bigger model and now I see exactly what they all mean, it definitely has a bigger model feel than the 48" EF EXP models I've flown to date. Power was ample, which is no surprise as it's peaking over 1000W. I've got a distinct feeling that this is going to be my favourite plane!

I maybe need to invest in some new batteries though, the 2200mAh ones had to be slid way forward into the motor box to get the CG right, I'm thinking 2600mAh might be a better 'fit', clearly weight isn't an issue because she flies incredibly floaty.

here she is, still needs the stickers....
DSCN1306.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: