• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 73" AJ Laser 230Z

Tseres

150cc
After reading the instructions I need 250 oz Servos... The ones I have a are 180 oz. Have to call Brian Tomorrow.

HornetNZ

50cc
Depends on your flight style really. If you're strictly sport flying, it should be ok. If anything, you'll want the higher torque on the ailerons since they're so big.

Tseres

150cc
Here is an update. Saturday night I glued the Stab on... Last night I glued the hinges in the Horizontal and the Vertical Stabs. I used Terry's method of putting vaseline on the hinge pivots This evening I glued in the Control horns on the Tail Surfs. Firs time for me working with this Type of Glue in Control Horns. Most people love them however I prefer the PAU Screw type control horns. They are much easier to mount and are less work... Plus I like the adjustability of the screw type. I'll glue on the Elevators and Ruder before I go to bed tonight.
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566_2.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568_2.JPG

Tseres

150cc
The Second Edition for tonight. Finished glueing on the Elevators and The Ruder.

The Elevators were designed for a single servo and the 2 halves joined with a hardwood Joiner... I decided to split the Elevators and use two servos in the tail. Only worry I have is that it may be to tail heavy building it this way. Hopefully I can still balance it without any more additional weight.

IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG

Tseres

150cc
Was a great day except for one thing. I ordered 4-40 tapped Servo Arms from SWB. The problem is that the Ball links you get in the kit are metric and to small. Had to run to the LHS to get some Dubros. With a few modifications like using 2-56 ball links and switching out the ball from a 4-40 end. then drill the nylon out so I could thread it on the metric push rod. This was not a problem for me. I have made this mod befor. The problem was that I was out of Ball Ends.

Made up some 20-gage wire extensions. Got a bunch of Wire from Tail Dragger RC when I was building the Sukhoi. This wire has become standard in my builds.

The Ruder and Aileron Servos are Mounted. Also mounted the Elevator servos and centered them but will have to do the linkage tomorrow.

IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg

Tseres

150cc
Todays weather dictated that I work on the plane. Finished up the linkage on the Elevator Servos. Then I mounted the throttle servo. I didn't use the hole in the motor box where most people would mount it. I just have a thing about not mounting any servos in the engine compartment. I continued that habit on this plane. I also used a Graphite Impregnated Nirod for the throttle linkage. Sul livan don't sell this rod anymore... I still have enough left for 3 more planes. This separates the vibration from the engine to the servo. My theory is that this will let the servo live a little longer.

I'm using Savox Servos from code3innovations.com . Ruder is (1) SC-1232. Elevator (2) SA-1258. Ailerons (2) SA-1256 Throttle (1) SC-1257

IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG

Tseres

150cc
My goal was to maiden the Laser on Saturday. I may not meet that goal but it will be close... All the time consuming things are finished.

Made up the choke bracket and linkage. This is the way I like to do the linkage cause it's easy for me to reach and be able to see if the choke is on or off. I don't like servo operated chokes.

Something new for me is the Water Bottle Stopper from www.vital-rc.com . I talked to Justin about these stoppers and decided to try one. I like the stopper itself. It is simple and easy to put the zip ties on the fuel lines. I don't like the vent elbows. I've always had a hard time with mounting them. As you can see I get them in ok but I just don't like doing it. I ran into a problem with the water bottle cap. It had a flange on the inside of it. I carefully cut the flange out and that allowed the cap to screw on the bottle and hold in the stopper. The plastic bottle cap was pretty thin so I decided to glue it on with some seal all for some extra insurance. I think this setup will work great and it's cheaper then the PSP cap. If I didn't trust it. I wouldn't use it in my brand new AJ Laser.

I took a few detailed pictures of the clunks I use incase some of you may want to order tis type of a clunk.

I don't have to go to bed early tomorrow so I think I should be able to have everything in the plane. Then I could set up the throws on the servos and fire this baby up. :)

DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG
DSC_0050.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG
DSC_0052.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0060.JPG

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Tom if you need some Tygon tubing let me know. I ordered a 100' roll from McMaster Carr a while back and it is way cheaper than ordering it in the small packs. Be more than happy to just send you some. just tell me how much you need.