• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AeroWorks 150cc Ultimate

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've made a guys trip while under the weather before. I got sick for the first time in 25 years (pneumonia) a few years ago and spent 3 weeks in bed. Come time to make my annual spring training baseball trip to Florida and I went anyway. It was on my 4th week of being sick and I was ready to get out of the house. The 1st day was a little rough but I was on the mend anyway so the rest of the week went well.

My wife was incensed to say the least.

I say YES on Nall!! :fist_pump:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I've made a guys trip while under the weather before. I got sick for the first time in 25 years (pneumonia) a few years ago and spent 3 weeks in bed. Come time to make my annual spring training baseball trip to Florida and I went anyway. It was on my 4th week of being sick and I was ready to get out of the house. The 1st day was a little rough but I was on the mend anyway so the rest of the week went well.

My wife was incensed to say the least.

I say YES on Nall!! :fist_pump:
I have never been of the mind to let things hold me back. As long as I am here and can stand on my own two feet I do what I can when I can. I as well have not been sick to many times and did not stop because of it. Once had a stomach virus and was puking my guts out at work, did that for three days before it finally passed.
I am sure there are a lot of us out there that do the same.
Honestly, the only reason I even posted about the face was so people could see what happens when things are not found quickly and to be persistent in seeking a solution. When mine started two years ago I did not think enough of it being it was the size of a BB and did not really pursue insisting treatment like I should have. But over that time I did visit several doctors that blew it off as nothing. Then about six months ago I noticed it had grown a good bit and started being more insistent with doctors. I have seen Dentist, ENT's, cancer related doc's, dermatologist, etc. Then about a month ago the wife was researching for whom is next and came across the term Maxillofacial. Wah Lah, a doctor that specializes in the soft tissue of the face and he is the one that took the right type of x-ray with the golf ball sized cyst and all the missing bone. Of course everything he had to say after seeing the x-ray scare's the crap out of you before he starts to explain how it will be fixed and that you will be ok, or should be.
So my lack of persistence is repaying me with a golf ball size cyst and a lot of missing bone, and going to cost a lot of money!
So take it from me, pursue, insist, demand, and search, but by all means don't let it go because it is not going to get better all by itself!

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The carb rebuild kit and the DA carb arrived yesterday. I had a little time this morning to check out the carb situation. The DA carb will require moving the throttle servo and some rework of the carb linkage. The rebuild kit is a direct replacement so I went and disassembled the 3W carb. I am not going to swear to it but I believe I found the issue when I was putting the new parts in. While installing the diaphragm one has to slide the little metal tip onto the metering lever arm and at this moment I realized I don't think the original was hooked. This would explain the issue with fuel pouring out of the carb and the engine not running. Without this being hooked it sets on top of the metering needle lever and thus the meter needle would stay open. In this arrangement the diaphragm will not pump and without the pressure no fuel runs through the needles but rather through the overflow. Someone may ask how does it overflow if it is not pumping, simple really, with the metering needle being open fuel will flow by way of gravity if the tank's fuel level is above the carb. This is also why there was a faster flow when I lifted the tail, the tank went even higher above the carb.
Hopefully I will find out for sure tomorrow when it stops raining.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The carb rebuild kit and the DA carb arrived yesterday. I had a little time this morning to check out the carb situation. The DA carb will require moving the throttle servo and some rework of the carb linkage. The rebuild kit is a direct replacement so I went and disassembled the 3W carb. I am not going to swear to it but I believe I found the issue when I was putting the new parts in. While installing the diaphragm one has to slide the little metal tip onto the metering lever arm and at this moment I realized I don't think the original was hooked. This would explain the issue with fuel pouring out of the carb and the engine not running. Without this being hooked it sets on top of the metering needle lever and thus the meter needle would stay open. In this arrangement the diaphragm will not pump and without the pressure no fuel runs through the needles but rather through the overflow. Someone may ask how does it overflow if it is not pumping, simple really, with the metering needle being open fuel will flow by way of gravity if the tank's fuel level is above the carb. This is also why there was a faster flow when I lifted the tail, the tank went even higher above the carb.
Hopefully I will find out for sure tomorrow when it stops raining.
Good thing is found something, it would not be the first time I am having difficulties with something can not find thing rebuild it and it works fine never knowing what changed, very frustrating.
Does the plane leak fuel now when you stand up the tail.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Have not stood it up yet, have not done anything yet. Tomorrow hopefully.

Edited just for you @Snoopy1. I just filled it and tipped it, the fuel did not free flow. Next I hooked a syringe to the vent cover then I actuated the pump manually and watched the fuel move up the line with each pulse. Did this until it flooded, then tipped the tail and no fuel came out. So as it stands I do know for a fact that something has changed for the better. Tomorrow morning when I get back from a hearing aid checkup I will attempt to run it again.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
As it stands with life getting in the way, tomorrow is hearing aids, Thursday is truck recall and oil change, but Friday and Saturday is open. If it runs tomorrow I will plan on taking it out Friday or Saturday and see what it has got. Fingers crossed!
At least there is a change so it looks promising.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I started working on the 3W by 10a.m. and it did not matter what I did it just would not run. Yes there was no free flow of fuel but like before it would start and idle a few minutes. And if I tried to advance the throttle it would die. I tried turning the needles every which way, put a higher voltage battery direct to the ignition. So I installed the new DA carb and waa laa, it did the same thing. Now this got me thinking outside of the carb so I started pulling everything back to the crankcase but did not get far. Once the first section of the reed block was off I saw what that dumb ass boob did when he put in the new reed assembly. And by dumb ass boob I mean me. The last gasket was turned so as to block the pulse passage. Turned it around and put the cover back on along with the 3W carb, took it outside, two flips on choke it pops as usual, second flip no choke and it is running at a nice idle. And for the moment of truth, started advancing the throttle click by click and the engine gained rpm. So far so good so I opened it up and shazam, that beast is screaming but only for a moment. When I get back in the morning from dropping the truck off I will get it out, hook up the rpm meter and give it a good tuning.
I know we all make mistakes but I can not believe I installed that gasket rotated, just a real boneheaded move on my part. So as it stands either Saturday or Sunday I should be taking it to the field for the maiden.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I started working on the 3W by 10a.m. and it did not matter what I did it just would not run. Yes there was no free flow of fuel but like before it would start and idle a few minutes. And if I tried to advance the throttle it would die. I tried turning the needles every which way, put a higher voltage battery direct to the ignition. So I installed the new DA carb and waa laa, it did the same thing. Now this got me thinking outside of the carb so I started pulling everything back to the crankcase but did not get far. Once the first section of the reed block was off I saw what that dumb ass boob did when he put in the new reed assembly. And by dumb ass boob I mean me. The last gasket was turned so as to block the pulse passage. Turned it around and put the cover back on along with the 3W carb, took it outside, two flips on choke it pops as usual, second flip no choke and it is running at a nice idle. And for the moment of truth, started advancing the throttle click by click and the engine gained rpm. So far so good so I opened it up and shazam, that beast is screaming but only for a moment. When I get back in the morning from dropping the truck off I will get it out, hook up the rpm meter and give it a good tuning.
I know we all make mistakes but I can not believe I installed that gasket rotated, just a real boneheaded move on my part. So as it stands either Saturday or Sunday I should be taking it to the field for the maiden.
The most important thing is that you found the problem and it is running good, now of to the field and burn of some gas , that will be the maiden flight for the plane well enjoy it and good luck.