• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

Im not sure about going to 22 gauge wire due to the length of the runs but I can see how you could drop over a pound off from the plane. Under 40 is a nice weight for a plane this size. Big difference from my 150cc AW300 I had.

If I remember correctly my H9 Sukhoi with full exhaust is just over 40lbs.

Joe Hunt

150cc
The new designs and building technology is allowing for some very light and strong airframes. I remember when we hand built custom T.O.C. planes that weren’t much larger then todays 100cc size airframes and we did everything possible to get to that weight.

What's a TOC? ... hehe... that was then and this is now!... it's 2015, brother! haha 35lbs (with cans and smoke!) 122" planes that are impossible to break in the air... you can do it! haha (hey guys, we can't give these manufacturer's any slack, haha) But, yeah, seriously, Aeroworks planes have always been great flying planes. And, have always looked more scale to me than a lot of ARFs. You see some hershey bar wings around, and just generally funfly looking planes that are called scale Edges, Extras, Yaks, etc. And, that's okay, no problem with that at all, I just like the more scale look, myself. Another thing about this plane, that I'm repeating, is it looks like a custom kit build on the flight line... not an ARF. I get a lot of comments on the cowl and the fuse. If the equipment trays weren't laser cut I could easily pass this off as a kit I hand built. hehe :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Im not sure about going to 22 gauge wire due to the length of the runs but I can see how you could drop over a pound off from the plane. Under 40 is a nice weight for a plane this size. Big difference from my 150cc AW300 I had.

If I remember correctly my H9 Sukhoi with full exhaust is just over 40lbs.

I tend to ramble... here's the math I was thinking of:

12oz - DA vs 3W (guesstimate)
40z - 5cell Nicad pack I have taped to the tail (also guesstimate)
4oz - Pilot (might be 5oz installed)
2oz - sanding down the motor spacer (I can definitely do that, I've done it before, I could probably take 4oz off of it safely)
2oz - 22g vs 20g wire (I weighed 22g vs 24g on my Sukhoi and it was 3oz, I believe, I wrote it down somewhere)

1-1/2lbs total

Just totally guessing on a real accurate weight like I used to get on my old scale... I think you're right, our H9 Suks with DA-170 on pipes are 40 lbs. They just "feel" that weight carrying them around compared to my old 37-38 lbs 118" planes. They also fly lighter than all but a couple of my old planes (those two planes, an FMG and a Dalton, were actually too light for me... super light planes are very safe and docile, but they kite around and you have to wait on them... which is... boring. haha). And, I educated guess that my AW Yak55m is 40 lbs with 3W-170 and stock mufflers (although my bathroom scale says basically 38-39 without the nicad pack). So, I educated guess that with a DA, stock mufflers, no pilot, and 22g extensions it would actually weigh 38.5 lbs. Anyway, it flies good. haha BTW, I chose to use the 3W because I wanted that torque-y grunt-y hovering power... and in that regard the CS (even brand new and tight) did not disappoint. :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Another thought on weight... that I've repeat many times through the years... you can't make a planer lighter doing one thing... if you really want it lighter you have to do everything. An ounce here or there makes no difference at all on a plane this size. But, 10 different 20z deductions (3oz on the fuel tank, 3oz on the engine spacer, 2oz here, 2oz there, etc.) makes a difference. 8oz on a plane this size doesn't make much difference at all, but 24oz makes a big difference. 32oz will make a 40% feel like a whole different model. :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Under 40 is a nice weight for a plane this size. Big difference from my 150cc AW300 I had.

Yeah, my first Aeroworks 150cc 260 with the suggested wing mods was kinda heavy, but my second one with the newer wings flew light (on a DA-150 on pipes)... the one with Monkey flying it:

Yeah, my first Aeroworks 150cc 260 with the suggested wing mods was kinda heavy, but my second one with the newer wings flew light (on a DA-150 on pipes)... the one with Monkey flying it:

If I was ever to purchase another AW plane it would have to be this:

Something about that Yak 54 is just plain sexy.