• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Littlest one had me up early Sunday. Got about 40 minutes in. Glued in formers 7B, 6B, 5B, 3B, and 2b. 3b had to angled just right using a die cut jig. I spent a goos amount of time carving out CA from alignment holes for 2B and 3b.

attachment.php

Charles

70cc twin V2
I know same thing happened with me with the alignment holes it would have helped if the instructions had warned to go sparingly with the CA around the holes when glueing the sides and formers in.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I know same thing happened with me with the alignment holes it would have helped if the instructions had warned to go sparingly with the CA around the holes when glueing the sides and formers in.
Just part of the balsa building experience.

I've put her on the back burner again. This time for the GWS C-47 GWS US sent me in appreciation of what I did for the P-38. Finally bought the electronics and props for it 2 weeks ago. Was up early today and started it. Should go together quick and easy once I figure out the battery hatch. If there's interest I'll post up a build thread in the appropriate area of the forums.

Charles

70cc twin V2
That would be interesting. Ive only built one electric a GWS foam zero in 2007 before lithium batteries. However I just got through helping a friend repair a Hobbico Nexstar electric trainer he bought from a mother of a guy who literally destroyed it and bought a second and destroyed it too. He bought both plains for $100 and we spent another hundred repairing one using parts from the other. We just finished this week https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205261008904151&set=gm.10152551539780875&type=1

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
That would be interesting. Ive only built one electric a GWS foam zero in 2007 before lithium batteries. However I just got through helping a friend repair a Hobbico Nexstar electric trainer he bought from a mother of a guy who literally destroyed it and bought a second and destroyed it too. He bought both plains for $100 and we spent another hundred repairing one using parts from the other. We just finished this week https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205261008904151&set=gm.10152551539780875&type=1

Build log started here: http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?3110-GWS-C-47-Skytrain

My first electric build was a Millennium R/C Micro SSX a few years ago. Earlier this year I did the GWS P-38, my first foam and twin. Learned a lot. After doing the P-38, electric twin setup is soooo easy, I'm kind of in a twin/multi engine phase right now.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Between work, family life, and other RC projects she's been pushed off the side for a while. I did get some more medium CA and canopy glue on my birthday for use with the build.

luciuswillson

New to GSN!
have you considered using fiberglass over monokote? I am getting to start this build in a few weeks and was planning on using glass. I just wanted your opinion. Thanks

Charles

70cc twin V2
Why would you want to put fiberglass over monocote? When laying glass you want the resin to soak into the basa and the monocote would keep it from doing this.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
have you considered using fiberglass over monokote? I am getting to start this build in a few weeks and was planning on using glass. I just wanted your opinion. Thanks

What Charles said above.

I've never glasses, always used Monokote. Charles is glassing his, following his build log for more info.

luciuswillson

New to GSN!
Fiberglass

Why would you want to put fiberglass over monocote? When laying glass you want the resin to soak into the basa and the monocote would keep it from doing this.

I didn't mean putting the fiberglass over the monocote, I meant choosing to use fiberglass over using monocote. I guess I was also asking it a .60 size plane was acceptable to glass? I am going to start buiding this kit in the next month or so and wanted to glass but wasn't sure if it should be done. I am putting a OS FS 120 in it.