• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

Charles

70cc twin V2
If you go with 3/4 oz cloth and go with a good finish resin like Zpoxy and thin with denatured alcohol. It will be just as lite as Monocote. There is a great UTube video by AMA on how to do it. It will also add a lot of strength to the balsa sheeting. It will also make it possibel to use a paint and do your own color scheme. That is o lot of motor in a .60 plane. It would probible fly getter with a smaller motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

luciuswillson

New to GSN!
If you go with 3/4 oz cloth and go with a good finish resin like Zpoxy and thin with denatured alcohol. It will be just as lite as Monocote. There is a great UTube video by AMA on how to do it. It will also add a lot of strength to the balsa sheeting. It will also make it possibel to use a paint and do your own color scheme. That is o lot of motor in a .60 plane. It would probible fly getter with a smaller motor.

I wasn't really sure what engine to use. The manual says a 120 can be used but I am not married to that idea. I have looked at the engine you are using and I am interested in that possibly becasue it would all for the use of a three blad prop. Will you just have to drill a hold in the top of the cowl to use your starter? Are the starter's for those engines similer to a heli starter?

Charles

70cc twin V2
Yes you have to drill a hole in the top or side according to your mounting configeration and it turns a 3 blade prop easily because of the 2 to 1 prop gearing The only problem is the carb and had to modify the side to accomidate the carb. EXTRA NOTE After trying to mount in a steight up configration I gave up and finally settled on a 45 degree mounting to the port side which rotates the carb down enough to where it isnt a problem and the exhaust is still accessable with a 90 degree pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

luciuswillson

New to GSN!
Not a lot of progress since my previous update. I came down with a nasty cold that took the best out of me for about a week. I did make use of 70*F weather about a week and half ago on a Sunday and did some sanding with rough grit on the bottom of the stab ribs after removing the alignment tabs. Now a home improvement project is eating the majority of my "free" time.

When you removes the trim tabs did you cut straight across mark to mark or something else? Thanks.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
When you removes the trim tabs did you cut straight across mark to mark or something else? Thanks.

Those tabs are indented. I marked the indents with a felt tip pen as they were removed from the sheet. The indents allow them to break off easily. Same with the wing ribs.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
ok RC you need to get back working on it.

I know. It's taking me months to build the little GWS C-47...... I'm barely able to get 30 minutes a week now for build time. Seems like the wife always has plans that don't involve me building.