• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I went on Robarts site and the 121 retract is the one recomended for the plane we are building but like Robart does they really dont give you any solutions for solving the steering problem with the wheel extended and retracted.

Yeah, I Google image searched and saw a few YouTube videos.

I'm thinking 2 servos on separate channels, pull-pull on tail wheel with mixing to when tail is retract the rudder mixing is off. Of course you'll also have to mix it always to your gear switch.

I'd have to look st the plans again to see where a 4th servo could be placed as well as possible impact on elevator and rudder pushrods.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Up "early" today before everyone else. I was able to glue F8 to the front of the tail support crutch and glued corners F5 through F8 and the support crutch to the fuse sides. I'm going to have to wet the fuse sides around F5 in order to get them to curve properly.

Time to go fly in a little bit!

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Picture of the formers in place. Almost time to flip her over and work on the top.

attachment.php

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Well, life isn't giving me time to build these days. I need a day where I can vent the room and soak a fuse half in a 50/50 solution of ammonia and water to soften the ply wing saddle doubler so I can get it to curve to fuse former F5 and get it glued in place.

I'm started to get the itch to build my GWS C-47 though.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
With the littlest one waking up and taking a while to go back to sleep before my alarm goes off on the weekdays, got in the hobby room this morning. I was able to soften the wood up without using ammonia and bend it with brute force. Sadly, I don't have a 3rd hand to drop the glue, no one else was available to help. So it's better than it was, not perfect, but the best it'll get. Time to move forward with the build.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Littlest one was up for a bottle with enough time for me not to go back to sleep before the alarm. So I got in the hobby room. Finally got all the rudder/tailwheel push rod pieces cut to size and soldered together. Then cut the outer pushrod tube to size for the rudder/tailwheel and glued into position. Not a huge amount of progress, but it's better than zero.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Are you going to go with the tailwheel suppleid or go with a retract?

Stock

Put about 30 minutes in this morning. Rudder pushrod guide is in, hit all the glue joints again. Ready to sand the top deck and start working on the top of the plane.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Just got about 30 minutes on the build today. Double checked the CA joints on the fuse so far, sanded excess glue and rudder pushrod exiting fuse, punched out formers 5B, 6B, and 7B, test fitted, sanding more dried CA off, test fitted formers, sanding more glue off. Waiting until I can get enough time to hold these plywood pieces in place for the CA to set before trying to glue them on. Just wouldn't have the time today.