• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Once again work has kept me away from the build again. Crazy deadline to meet and then a trip to San Francisco to help meet a very aggressive deadline.

I have kits piling up now thanks to GWS US sending me another kit to build, snap pics, video, and review. This time their C-130. Wife won't let me build the Herc until the P-40 is done.

I'm also in a GWS contest to win an F-15 kit. Help me out by going to Grand Wing System US on Facebook, like them, then vote for the C-47 with GI Joes doing field work. First place is an F-15 kit with servos, second place an F-15 kit, and one random voter will get an F-15 kit too. You can vote daily, maybe even twice daily, to increase your chances. Voting ends 11:59pm on July 4th.

TNGlen

New to GSN!
rcdude07, et. al.:
I have been following some of this thread. I bought a .60 kit this spring and plan on starting it this fall. I have a sneaky feeling that this will be an awesome reference. If you have any suggestions or questions, I welcome the conversation. This will be my 3rd kit solo and the first in 15 years. I have yet to cover a plane in monokote and am concerned about "getting it right". I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks for the good read!

first post in the forum by the way

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
rcdude07, et. al.:
I have been following some of this thread. I bought a .60 kit this spring and plan on starting it this fall. I have a sneaky feeling that this will be an awesome reference. If you have any suggestions or questions, I welcome the conversation. This will be my 3rd kit solo and the first in 15 years. I have yet to cover a plane in monokote and am concerned about "getting it right". I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks for the good read!

first post in the forum by the way

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you find my incomplete build helpful. Sadly life has interfered with my building. So you may want to check out Charles' log of his build here: http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?2778-Top-Flite-P-40 he's much farther along than I am at the moment.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Got some decent build time today. I had to drill the pilot holes for the motor mount all the way through the firewall. The kit has two strips of 1/8" ply that glued to the back of the firewall. These are to add reinforcement for the blind nuts. I also had to cut off some of the extra tri stock reinforcement to make room for the strips. I'm using a larger motor mount than stock, hence the modifications needed. I also added additional tri stock reinforcement to the top back of the firewall. I'll post pics later.

Next is fuel proofing the nose section. I hope to get that done before vacation next week.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Here's the pics. The additional top tri stock is due to using a larger motor mount than the stock one and the screw holes being a tad higher.

IMG_20150720_200202.jpgIMG_20150720_200142.jpg

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Got this round of fuel proofing done morning before everyone was up. I expect to do more with the inside of the nose once it's built.