• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Stab support glued in and top aft fuse stringers glued in today. I checked everything for the stab support braces multiple times to ensure it was right before dropping the CA on. Also test fitted the aft top sides and cut an opening for the pushrod.

. IMG_20150926_145746.jpg
IMG_20150926_144010970.jpg

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Top aft fuse sides shaped and glued in place today. I need to do a fair amount of sanding on the top, don't have a place indoors to sand and it's raining out. So I am in a holding pattern for the next step. For kicks I slid the stab, fin, and rudder in place for a picture.

IMG_20150927_140807.jpg

Charles

70cc twin V2
Looks great your stabilizer was a lot neater fit than mine so I had to use a lot of fill. You are right there is a lot of sanding on the top.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Looks great your stabilizer was a lot neater fit than mine so I had to use a lot of fill. You are right there is a lot of sanding on the top.

Thanks [MENTION=3323]Charles[/MENTION]. The top stringers extend a bit further back than designed, I think. The build instructions said about an 1 inch past former 8B. I measured an inch back, compared to the plans, they were longer. Left them this way as it's easier to cut off than add on if too short. So in the picture the stab isn't sitting in the exact place.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Spent the weekend working on the wiring in the wing. I wasn't happy at the end of Saturday so Sunday I changed my routing and things went better. I can more easily pull the wires through to the wing's center.

IMG_20151004_140249.jpg

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Dad was in town and let him looked at the servo wire routing job. He gave it his approval. Today was securing the strings through the wing in prep for sheeting. I added some small pieces of carbon fiber vertically in the spars that were cut out. I need to do a bit of final sanding on the wing before sheeting, as well as the sanding on the fuse.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Check your gear pods to make sure they put both left and right side in. They put two right side pods in mine so I had to fabricate my pods from balsa.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Just a lot of sanding today.
Sanded the wing in preparation for sheeting. Sanded the to aft fuse sides down as well.

Charles

70cc twin V2
I see you used electric retracts I wish I had gone that way the air retracts have proven to be a real pain in the ass. I just finished and will start the painting process.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I see you used electric retracts I wish I had gone that way the air retracts have proven to be a real pain in the ass. I just finished and will start the painting process.

haha, yeah. Air retracts in my dad's Top Flite P-51 and FW-190 have been nothing but problematic. I can't remember how I found Wingspan Retracts. The other nice thing on these is the 100* angle when fully extended, designed to help prevent the typical warbird nose over.