• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Ordered the parts needed to make progress on Monday from Tower Hobbies (gift card from www.realrcreviews.com for the work I've done there). Package arrived yesterday. Now to get time to work on the plane. After attending Warbirds Over Dixie 2015 on 8-15-15 and seeing the lack of kit built planes, I'm fueled to try to get this plane done for next year's event.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Ordered the parts needed to make progress on Monday from Tower Hobbies (gift card from www.realrcreviews.com for the work I've done there). Package arrived yesterday. Now to get time to work on the plane. After attending Warbirds Over Dixie 2015 on 8-15-15 and seeing the lack of kit built planes, I'm fueled to try to get this plane done for next year's event.
Great glad to see you back to work on it :banana:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Great glad to see you back to work on it :banana:

Thanks. I kind of build in spurts when I'm motivated. After going to Warbirds Over Dixie and seeing no P-40 and lack of kit builds (ARF or BNF were prominent), I want to have this girl flying next year.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Thanks. I kind of build in spurts when I'm motivated. After going to Warbirds Over Dixie and seeing no P-40 and lack of kit builds (ARF or BNF were prominent), I want to have this girl flying next year.

Glad to hear that I kind of do the same kind of stalled now as i have to pull the engine and retune on the stand because i had to pull the carb on the final fitting to make some small adjustments so i am thinking before i pull go ahead and fit the simulated exhaust and then pull, tune and reinstall before installing servos and air system in the fuselage and painting.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Got the motor mount mounted this morning before everyone was up and having to go to the office. I had to open up the top die cut holes a little bit to allow the blind nut to fit as well as glue in some smaller pieces of extra ply where a few blind nuts weren't going to bite the plywood reinforcement pieces.

IMG_20150826_061328149.jpg IMG_20150826_061244.jpg

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Finally was able to get a reqlly good chunk of uninterrupted time today to work on the next steps of the P-40. I was working with sheeting and curving the sheeting, so I had to wet it, hold it in place at sections at a time to allow the glue to set. Once set and the wood dried enough I had a fair amount of sanding to do. Next up is to roughly shape the top deck, which transitions from relatively flat at the canopy to almost completely round at the firewall.

IMG_20150906_135949.jpg IMG_20150906_145333.jpg IMG_20150906_145304.jpg

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Top deck sanded and roughly shaped as well as the top aft fuse sides glued together. In the pic below they are just loosely sitting in place for effect.

IMG_20150912_143819.jpg

IMG_20150912_143718.jpg

IMG_20150912_143652.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
love the looks of the turtle decks with the window cut outs on these WWII planes... especially the P-40