• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Cappy cuts/builds an old school Ultra Hots with a few mods.

joecheck

New to GSN!
Do you have to mount the motor vertical? What if you turned it 45 degrees (like we did old glow motors) would it fit on center... May have an exhaust issue... Just a thought....

capthis

70cc twin V2
I looked at the motor being mounted at 45 degrees and it still wouldn't quite line up with where the plans show. I am just going to mount it vertical and down just enough to get it on the firewall. This is a sport plane and not an IMAC plane so I don't think it will matter much.

I am probably going to put this project on hold for a while as frankly I am tired of messing with it for now. :)

capthis

70cc twin V2
Got distracted building this Kentucky rifle.....
64269.jpeg

capthis

70cc twin V2
After fighting with that hatch multiple times I finally just glued it to the wing. I then made some tubes by wrapping balsa around a wing tube for my wing bolt access.

I also made a spacer so the Zenoah flywheel nut wouldn't rub the firewall and mounted the Zenoah G26 to the firewall. It's on the center line and I don't think balance is going to be an issue now.....

At this point it's framed and ready for final sanding.
69710.jpeg
69708.jpeg
69694.jpeg
69686.jpeg

capthis

70cc twin V2
So this project is on hold for a while as I have a few more builds to complete before I completely clean shop (remove all dust) and then cover several airplanes.

It is I think final sanded and essentially ready to cover. I'll report back when I start throwing Ultracote at it! :)

Doc

50cc
Have you weighed what you got there yet? I'm curious what it comes to. I have a set of Big Hots plans I've had for a long time (the 90s), a couple of guys in the club flew them and had G62s on em, they were pretty impressive at the time. No one was doing 3D then so the surfaces weren't as big proportionally as yours are but they were good areobats.
Doc

capthis

70cc twin V2
No I haven't. I expect final weight to be 12 lbs or so. My buddy Mo in California built one of my short kits with a DLE 30 and he was just over 12.

I have the big hots plans as well and a G62 :). Not saying I'm going to build one but you never know :)

Doc

50cc
If you decide to cut short kit(s) for the big one down the road a ways keep me in mind.
Doc