• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro 2.5M Raven Build

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Since the HV in HVLP stands for High Volume that little compressor must move some air. Pretty neat little system. I'd like to see some info as well.

Wacobipe

100cc
Nice....got any links to your supplier for that Fuji system?

I did a lot of research on HVLP and then the various systems available and universally Fuji ( made in Canada oddly enough with a name like that) seems universally considered the brand that hits well above its costs. HVLP is basically a high quality vacuum cleaner running in reverse...so it blows instead of sucks. As such, the more stages of vacuum fan you have, the better the system (i.e. The thicker the the material you can spray effectively). They work at very low pressures (under 10 PSI) but more stages= slightly more pressure and you get better results as it can spray thicker materials ( house paint latex for example) and do so more smoothly. Fuji HVLP systems are renowned for producing higher pressures/volumes per fan stage than any other system.

I purchased mine from:
http://www.paintsprayersplus.com/category/001_paint_sprayers/

I was torn between the Fuji mini-mite 3 and 4 ( 3 or 4 stage system). I called these guys at PaintSprayersPlus because they say all over their website to do so for any advice. I told the, guy my plans for the system and that I was painting automotive paint on airplanes and finishing woodworking projects, but not planning on painting any houses...and they actually talked me down $100 to the Mini mite 3 because they were concerned the extra pressure of the 4 would make it harder to manage the corners on a smaller part like an airplane and speed of coverage wasn't a concern for me. When's the last time you asked for advice from someone selling you something and they recommended the lower cost option? They were awesome and I couldn't find a better price anywhere.

I used it this afternoon but you'll have to read the next post for the report!

Last edited:

Wacobipe

100cc
I used the Mini-Mite today and while I have some learnin' to do I am totally impressed! First, I managed to prime all the flight surfaces with the system which I'd never used previously without one drip in the entire group of parts...I've never sprayed anything without a drip in my life.

The sprayer works great. I mixed the primer (Nason 2k) per the Nason recommendations at 4:1. The HVLP system provides a little funnel thing which you're supposed to fill and then time how long it takes for the contents to run out...my mixture took 20 seconds, but Fuji suggests it should take 30-40 for primers, so I risked it and used it as mixed. It worked fine, the surface finish is a bit rough but this is a high fill primer so I'd expect that anyway...next round I'm thinking about mixing much less activator in to see what happens if I get the viscosity to Fuji's recommendations as opposed to following Nason's mix ratio...but that makes me nervous too....

There is ridiculously little overspray with this system...you can see (sort of) how little is on the plastics after I sprayed...essentially the only significant overspray that exists is on the smaller parts where I had the gun pointed at the part with plastic right behind it...where parts had space around them and I sprayed the part with nothing behind it there was a tiny amount of overspray!

I couldn't be happier with the Fuji System...blows the old compressor and High Pressure guns out of the water.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Wacobipe

100cc
I've got a question for y'all...I am not sure whether I need to build a divider (false floor) into the Raven to separate the canister and engine heat from the electronics in the fuselage. It obviously adds some weight, but cuts down on heat build-up on the electronics bay which seems like a good thing. I've taken a quick video to show you what things look like...what are your thoughts? Good idea or overkill?

I don't think I would, but probably more I'm lazy. Keeping electronics cool is a good thing, but I don't think it will hurt anything to not have a tunnel.

Wacobipe

100cc
I basically answered my own question after asking the question...which Is that I feel it is wise, if not necessary, to isolate the canister from the electronics...just seems safer to me.

I'll post pics as I go through the process so you can see what I've done.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I make a false floor on mine to keep the heat from the electronic bay, as long as theres airflowand a place for the heat to escape it works great, and I like the fact they are hidden from view, seems less " toyish" that way, more scale.